PoSH Hyper Cloud
A PowerShell script used to back up Hyper-V virtual machines. Rclone is used to upload and 7zip is used to archive. Options are configurable via XML.
As of 23-07-2018, this has only been tested on Windows 10 Pro 1803 (Build 17134.165) using PowerShell 5.1. It is an item in the New features and improvements project to further test and support other Windows operating systems and even older versions of PowerShell.
Note: only sftp and b2 remotes are tested. It is an item in the New features and improvements project to test more rclone remotes.
- Download script
- Configure XML, check out the XML Configuration wiki for guidance and an example
- Create scheduled task
Tips and warnings
- Warning: The target folder(s) should not contain anything else other than files/folders generated by PoSH Hyper Cloud. Otherwise you may experience failure or unexpected data loss.
- Warning: Don't rename files or folders generated by PoSH Hyper Cloud unless you know what the impact will be (review the code!). Otherwise you may experience failure or unexpected data loss.
- Tip: The default compression format is 7z. It is an item in the New features and improvements to configure this in the XML.
- Tip: You can only blacklist virtual machines from being backed up, not whitelist. You can achieve a per-VM config by having an XML per job and excluding all other virtual machines. It will be a PIA if you frequently spawn new VMs.
- Tip: 7zip archive encryption is on by default. So your archives will be encrypted with a value set in the XML. It is an item in the New features and improvements to optionally enable/disable encryption.
New features and improvements
I have created a project: New features and improvements so keep an eye out for things I want to implement and improve.
- Adam Cook - codaamok
See also the list of contributors who participated in this project.
This project is licensed under the GNU General Public License v3.0 - see the LICENSE.md file for details