Code for Tampa Bay National Day of Civic Hacking 2016 resources
Check out the Wiki for resorces https://github.com/code-for-tb/codapalooza/wiki
CodaPalooza 2016: Gimme Shelter Register online at http://Codapalooza.us To support the National day of Civic Coding on June 3-5 we are looking for county support our efforts to support the THHI (Tampa Hillsborough Homeless Initiative). Code for Tampa Bay has partnered with Tampa Innovation Alliance to put on CodaPalooza 2016: Gimme Shelter.
Module #1: Mobile Application for conducting the Point-in-Time Homeless Count Surveys Summary: A mobile app has been designed to capture quality, consistent data for the PIT Homeless counts. The app would capture the GPS location coordinates for each survey conducted to assist in understanding where within their community’s unsheltered individuals and families are encountered, providing valuable information for deployment of services.
Module #2 Advanced Reporting and Data Sharing Summary: Understanding the “River of homelessness” using advanced data analytics and statistical analysis. Identifying individuals and contact points that lead the current situation, and potentially identifying critical success points in reversing the problem. This process would require (anonymized) user data with unique keys to track a homeless person through their journey. This would help us to better understand the homeless cascade or spiral - from proximal to ultimate causes, secondary and further consequences. https://github.com/servinglynk/hmis-lynk-open-source-docs/wiki/Resources-Page-for-CodaPalooza-2016:-Gimme-Shelter
Needs: Create a Unique Identifier system that anonymizes user data, but allows you to identify the same person in different programs, and databases. Syncmaster - a system that will take imports from other systems and prevent duplicate content, while connecting a user across databases.
Module #3: Housing resources for landlords to take advantage of voucher programs Summary: there are more homeless people with vouchers for housing than there are homes available. This app would link home owners with clients on an easy to use app. This use case fits the empty (assume unfurnished) home/long term housing category. This may be an integration with the current resource for housing search within Tampa exist through a Social Serv.
Needs: Make the process easier to identify potential landlords, make the process to sign up easier, and get the homeless into homes more efficiently. Make process easier for landlords to do business with the government
Module #4 Make resources more available and easier to use. Summary: Build a responsive application that would allow a homeless person quickly find resources near them that have availability and contact information. Too often people are trying to find resources calling around town from shelter to shelter to find a solution. We have a dataset available to you from “Unity” - Community Point. This lists all of the Associations that are Part of THHI and information avalible from http://unity.bowmansystems.com/index.php. The county has already made some initial attempts to add the details to a GIS map. https://maps.hillsboroughcounty.org/human/human.html. Which works great from a desktop but doesn’t translate well from a mobile prospective.
Goal: Build a native or responsive application that uses the existing data and wraps it into a application that can cache data for offline use. This app could also provide features for both community members and the homeless population at large.
Goal: Reimagine the Community Resource guide for mobile use. The current system is difficult to search when on a mobile device. Help people find the resources they need.
Goal: Easyshare What is the easiest way to share this application with people who need it? QR Code, SMS, a phone number that you can call that sends you a txt message. Or maybe a number you txt that sends you txt with the web address or link to download the app.
Goal: TXT Me information To make these services more available let's build a phone tree that will allow someone to call in select their need put in their zip code and then will send you a text message of a location with address and phone number. (and possibly a link to app above)
Module #5 Community Engagement and Communication Summary: Build a module that would allow people outside the current service providers to provide aid and communication of how they would like to help and what they are doing in the community. This module would allow the collection of Contact information, GIS information and add post to calendar. This system will also allow for donations directly to THHI.
- Goals: an easier way to donate directly to THHI by txt etc. A shared calendar of agencies
Module #6 Self help system for the homeless Summary: Microfinance system for the homeless, sometimes a job is not enough. Enough with a minimum wage job to pull you out of the problems. There are many ways to solve this but giving a person a way to fish is better sometimes than just giving them a fish. Help homeless people earn extra cash from tasks that they can do online from their phone. There are many online “Task” opportunities that could help someone make an extra $20 a day. This system is envisioned as a way to help people to make extra cash to get back on their feet. This is Microfinance for homeless people to make extra money.
- Goal: Help people with their phones do simple tasks online to make money.
Module #7 Tele-mental health. Integration of mental health telemedicine solution that is reimbursed under Medicare and Medicaid to provide support for homeless individuals that need mental health treatment without the stigma of going to a facility. We are working on a partnership with http://www.taoconnect.org/ to provide the tools for mental health services on the go from a cell phone. To support an initiative to help the homeless help themselves. Tao connect a local startup has offered to create a pilot program that offers course based solutions to dealing with anxiety and drug addiction. Helping to be a first step towards helping someone find the resources they need.
- Goal: develop a mobile app for their system that is based upon the Moodle Course delivery module. Moodle does have an existing app “Moodle” that is available in the app store, build one that is focused on TaoConnects service to be used during the pilot.
Moodle is an open source system, is their android app as well? You might be able to find sample code online.
Module #8 Big Idea Room! How can the Tampabay community be more involved with helping the homeless on a continual basis?
- Can we "Crowd source" help?
- Can we leverage social media to bring more people to a location to help?
- Rather than just the government, churches and shelters helping, are there ways the community can organize to help? How we can change the narrative of being a homeless person? Can we rebrand the circumstance to being house-less? Being homeless isn’t a crime, and people need respect. How do we cost justify giving the homeless homes. Utah found it was cheaper to house the homeless, look at the costs of jail data and data from florida hospital to see the real cost of homeless on the street. http://www.cc.com/video-clips/lntv3q/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-the-homeless-homed
Module #9 Keeping people out of Jail There are numerous data sources that currently exist in isolated forms across Hillsborough County in government and non-government agencies/charities. By connecting these silos of information and better equipping case managers to support their pre-homeless & homeless clients in resolving their legal issues, we remove barriers to self-sufficiency. Specifically, this module is looking to create an incident monitoring and managing platform. Incident Monitoring Service – polls/queries various data sources periodically and on-demand for custom queries. This includes county databases for: jails, warrants, court, probation records, etc... and reports on criminal and mental health events related to clients of the supporting agency Incident Management Application – subscribes to new events for each client of the agency. When a new event is received, it provides actionable information across GOV & NON GOV agencies to the case manager and notifications to homelessness and mental health liaisons, law enforcement, etc... . App updates HMIS system; notifies case managers, select law enforcement, and others in accordance with their agency's policy and the client's individual goals.
Module #10 Street Medicine Tampa Bay Street Medicine exists to provide direct access care to houseless populations in Hillsborough County area by bringing services directly to the patients we serve. We essentially "make housecalls to the homeless." In order to facilitate these services, we would like development towards a streamlined app that provides:
- GPS tracking of care-givers, accessible from any smart phone running iOS or Droid in order to increase safety and awareness of street teams in the field.
- Encounter tracking for our clients, including name, aliases, place of birth, date of birth (or approximate age), gender, race, and other pertinent identification information and any services rendered to the client during our street encounter.
- HIPAA compliance for applicable data (in some ways this is a "mini-EMR")
- Possible integration with PracticeFusion (our primary EMR service and what runs the Well Clinic each month)
- Storage and retention of Advance Directives made by our houseless clients for use during hospital visits. This could include DNR forms.
- Inter-operability with county data to provide better targeting and awareness for our agency and other collaborative agencies, taking into account HIPAA and patient confidentiality requirements. For more information, contact Jonathan Nilson email@example.com