shortimer is a django web app that collects job announcements from the code4lib discussion list and puts them on the Web. Basically shortimer subscribes to the code4lib discussion list, and periodically pops its email account looking for job advertisements. When it notices what looks like a job ad it adds it to the database, where it can be curated by folks who have an account.
To get shortimer running locally you will need to follow these instructions. The first step installs virtualenv which provides a Python sandbox environment for you to install the other dependencies. Clearly apt-get is only available on Debian based systems, but you will probably have a similar mechanism to get virtualenv installed using other packages managers (homebrew, rpm, etc). From there on things should work independent of what operating system you are using.
sudo apt-get install python-dev python-virtualenv mysql-server libmysqlclient-dev
git clone git://github.com/code4lib/shortimer.git
virtualenv --no-site-packages ENV
pip install -r requirements.txt
cp settings.py.template settings.py
- in order for people to login with their github, facebook, twitter, linkedin credentials you will need to create applications on those sites, and fill in oauth keys in your settings.py. For development you can probably get by with just one login provider.
python manage.py syncdb --migrate --noinput
python manage.py runserver
- point web browser at http://locahost:8000
- if you are doing development and want a snapshot of the db just ask
It might be useful for shortimer to monitor places where jobs are posted on the web and scrape them, where they could then be approved (or deleted) in the queue. Here are some sites that might be useful to watch:
- Digital Preservation Coalition
- Library jobs in the Chronicle of Higher Education
- Digital Humanities Job Archive
- ALA Job List
- LITA Jobs
- NDIIPP on Twitter
- Archives Gig also available on Twitter
- Canadian Libraries Association Jobs
- Society of American Archivists
- DigitalKoans also on Twitter