Code 401: Advanced Software Development in Java with SpringMVC and Android
This is the mandatory pre-work for Code 401: Java. It will help you prepare and familiarize yourself with tools we'll use during the course. When this course nears its start date, you will be invited to an online portal named Canvas where you can confirm that you've completed this prework and claim credit.
Start on the pre-work as soon as you can and be sure to allow yourself plenty of time to complete it. The prework should take you 10-12 hours to complete, or much more if you need an extensive refresher on frontend web dev. Allow yourself more time than you think you will need so that you can take breaks and not get overwhelmed.
Install Slack & Git
We use Slack to communicate with each other on a daily basis. We use Git and GitHub for source control and collaboration.
- Download Slack
- Verify you have the latest version of Git installed
- Setup an account on GitHub with a recent profile picture
Need a refresher on git? UDemy Git Tutorial
Optional Reference Materials:
- Effective Java (3rd Edition)
- Effective Java is an excellent reference for Java fundamentals. The author offers in-depth explanations about how core language features work and offers advice about the best ways to use them. The Third Edition goes in-depth explaining many new modern Java features introduced in Java versions 7 and 8.
- Obtain a Seattle Public Library card for free. You will have access to their e-book environment as well as free access to many Java and Android books.
Having a level of comfort with the basic skills and tools you’ll be using every day is vital to your success. Work through the assignments and readings listed below. Learn and research the language and its potential. For many of you, this is a brand new language, and it is important for you to become familiar with it and really understand the differences between Java and every other language out there. Learn and determine why one would choose Java for a project over another.
You do not need to do a lot of work every day. Spread it out evenly to do a bit every day before the first day of class. Do not let a day go by without spending your time practicing.
- Prework - Mindset (2 hours)
- Prework - Terminal (1.5 hours)
- Prework - Frontend HTML/CSS/JS Refresher (0-30 hours, depending on experience)
- Prework - Installation and computer setup (2-3 hours)
- Prework - Java Fundamentals Tutorial (2 hours)
- Prework - IntelliJ Tutorial (1 hour)
- Prework - Android Tutorial (1.5 hours)