This gem helps you migrate large numbers of projects on CodeShip from using legacy GitHub Services to the CodeShip GitHub App. For small numbers of projects, the migration wizard on https://codeship.com can help you migrate. However, there is a limit of 100 projects when migrating using the web UI. We've provided this gem to help users with more than 100 projects to migrate all at once.
When using the gem, you'll need to provide an access token from GitHub for the gem to have the necessary access. The access token will never leave your local machine though, as everything the gem does is executed in your local environment. If you were to use the web UI, we have enough permissions via your user authentication to perform the migration without needing an access token
What's it do?
First the gem will use the provided user credentials to obtain a list of projects from CodeShip that are using legacy GitHub Services. For each of these projects, the gem will use the provided GitHub personal access token to add the project's GitHub repository to the CodeShip GitHub App. Finally, any legacy Github Service for CodeShip will be removed from the GitHub repository. Errors will be reported for any repository that can't be successfully migrated.
To use this gem, you'll need:
- Ruby >= 2.5.0
- CodeShip username and password
- GitHub admin access to repositories
1. Install the gem
gem install codeship_migrate_to_github_app
2. Generate a GitHub Personal Access Token
Visit this page to generate a personal access token on GitHub. This token needs to be generated by an owner of the organization containing repositories to be migrated. Make sure your token has the following security scopes:
Give your token a descriptive name, click 'Generate token', and you'll be taken to a page displaying your new token. Make a note of this token: it won't be displayed on GitHub again.
3. Install the CodeShip GitHub App for a single repository in your GitHub organization
For each GitHub organization containing repositories to migrate, you'll need to install the CodeShip GitHub App and add it to at least one repository.
- Install the CodeShip GitHub App for your organization by visiting https://github.com/apps/codeship/installations/new
- Select your organization
- Under "Repository Access" select "Only select repositories", and choose at least one repository
- Click save. You'll be redirected back to CodeShip and can safely close the browser window
4. Run the migration via gem
codeship_migrate_to_github_app start --codeship-user=<codeship user email> --codeship-pass=<codeship password> --github-token=<github personal access token>
- codeship-user: your login email address on CodeShip
- codeship-pass: your CodeShip account password
- github-token: the GitHub personal access token generated in step 2
Something not quite right? Reach out to us at https://helpdesk.codeship.com
Bug reports and pull requests are welcome on GitHub at https://github.com/codeship/codeship_migrate_to_github_app. This project is intended to be a safe, welcoming space for collaboration, and contributors are expected to adhere to the Contributor Covenant code of conduct.
The gem is available as open source under the terms of the MIT License.
Code of Conduct
Everyone interacting in the CodeshipMigrateToGitHubApp project’s codebases, issue trackers, chat rooms and mailing lists is expected to follow the code of conduct.