In this talk I share some insights gained during my first months of contributing to the Skydive Project, the 100 commit mark was just an excuse ...
Some topics discussed:
- How one would begin to contribute?
- What workflow (typically) works best (Centralized vs. Push-Requests)?
- How are long running effort managed (hint: announced and broken-down)
- Using the Gits' ability to manage local history correctly
- How can you write code with more of an objective appeal/order
- Does open source software actually work for enterprises
I have made a conscious effort to veer away from domain specific / language specific insights favoring insights with a general appeal which carry through to most any other software development project.
The talk was given at IBM Haifa Research Lab on June 2018.