I am new to 3D printing and have been showing the printer off to lots of my firends and family. I wanted something small that I could give kids to take home with them.
This is a highly customizable project that lets me put whatever I want on a gear. The gear has a keychain hole in it so kids can use them on their backbpacks. I found a variety of methods for adding things to the gear using openscad and this repository has three examples:
- including another openscad file
- from a logo image file
- importing another stl file
This project is really just a mash-up of other peoples work. Specifically I would like to give credit to the following projects:
Gear Model - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:40410
Ultimaker Key fob model - https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-key-fob-flat
Customizable Robot keychain - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53285
INSTRUCTIONS for generating dxf files
- Find image you would like to appear on the gear. Needs to be a drawing that looks good in black and white (not grayscale).
- Download and install inkscape ( www.inkscape.org ). My require some extra packages.
- Select File->import image as embeded. Scale image to fit page.
- Select Path->Trace Bitmap... Click update button (adjust if needed) then hit OK and close the window
- Try to select the original image and hit Delete. This can be tricky because the vector image and the original image are on top of each other.
- Select all verticies and click the add "+" verticies button to add verticies on the curves.
- Select button to "make selected segments lines"
- Select Path->Uniion from the menu
- Select File->Export as dxf from the menu
- Close inkscape (no need to save)