Scout aims to be a lightweight, RESTful search server in the spirit of ElasticSearch, powered by the SQLite full-text search extension. In addition to search, Scout can be used as a document database, supporting complex filtering operations. Arbitrary files can be attached to documents and downloaded through the REST API.
Scout is simple to use, simple to deploy and just works.
- Multiple search indexes present in a single database.
- RESTful design for easy indexing and searching.
- Simple key-based authentication (optional).
- Lightweight, low resource utilization, minimal setup required.
- Store search content and arbitrary metadata.
- Multiple result ranking algorithms, porter stemmer.
- Besides full-text search, perform complex filtering based on metadata values.
- Comprehensive unit-tests.
- Supports SQLite FTS4.
- Documentation hosted on ReadTheDocs.
Scout can be installed from PyPI using
pip or from source using
you install from PyPI you will run the latest version, whereas installing from
git ensures you have the latest changes.
Installation using pip:
$ pip install scout
You can also install the latest
master branch using pip:
$ pip install -e git+https://github.com/coleifer/scout.git#egg=scout
If you wish to install from source, first clone the code and run
$ git clone https://github.com/coleifer/scout.git $ cd scout/ $ python setup.py install
Check out the documentation for more information about the project.
If you installed using
pip, you should be able to simply run:
$ scout /path/to/search-index.db
If you've just got a copy of the source code, you can run:
$ python scout/ /path/to/search-index.db
To run scout using docker, you can use the provided Dockerfile or simply pull
coleifer/scout image from dockerhub:
$ docker run -it --rm -p 9004:9004 coleifer/scout # scout is now running on 0.0.0.0:9004
Build your own image locally and run it:
$ cd scout/docker $ docker build -t scout . $ docker run -d \ --name my-scout-server \ -p 9004:9004 \ -v scout-data:/data \ scout