System code for Popup Networks accompanying Popup Networks: Creating Decentralized Social Media on Top of Commodity Wireless Routers published at GROUP'16
- A wireless router with a USB port, dual radio band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz,) and supports OpenWrt (check http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start for supported device). We used Asus DIR-825.
- A USB flash drive with at least 2GB capacity (8GB recommended)
- An Ethernet cable
- Internet connection
Inside router/openwrt/sh directory, there are a few scripts that you will need to alter to configure your network:
- wireless-config.sh (required):
- Specify the password for your WiFi connection by replacing [WiFi_password] with your password.
- Specify the SSID for your mesh network by replacing [mesh_5G_ssid] with your preferred name.
- mysql.sh (required): Specify the root password for MySQL by uncommenting line 24 and replace [mysql_password] with your MySQL password.
- dhcp-config.sh (optional): If your network requires your router to use a specific IP address, uncomment line 3 and replace [assigned static IP address] with your IP address.
- network-config.sh (optional): If your network requires your router to have a specific MAC address (MAC address clone), uncomment line 16 and replace [MAC address to clone] with your MAC address.
- setup1.sh (optional): If you want to change the format of your WiFi SSID, replace ssid_$routernumber with your preferred SSID.
- Format the USB flash drive to use with OpenWrt by using the util/format_usb.sh script or follow instructions on https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/storage
- Flash OpenWrt on your router, following instructions on https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/start
Popup Networks Setup
- Run setup1.sh, allow the router to restart
- Run setup2.sh