Contributing to Contao
The following is a set of guidelines for contributing to Contao and its packages, which are hosted in the Contao organization on GitHub. These are just guidelines, not rules, use your best judgement and feel free to propose changes to this document in a pull request.
- Use the search function to see if a similar issue has already been submitted.
- Describe the issue in detail and include all the steps to follow in order to reproduce the bug in the online demo.
- Include the version of Contao and PHP you are using.
- Include screenshots if possible; they are immensely helpful.
- If you are reporting a bug, please include any related error message you are
seeing and also check the
var/logs/directory for related log files.
- Follow the Contao coding standards.
- For new features, create your pull request against the
- For bug fixes, create your pull request against the lowest affected branch,
4.4if the bug is in Contao 4.4 or
4.7if the bug is in Contao 4.7.
- Include screenshots in your pull request whenever possible.
- If you want to add a new feature, we recommend that you discuss your ideas with us before your start writing code; either on GitHub or in one of our monthly calls.
Git commit messages
- Use the present tense ("Add feature" not "Added feature").
- Use the imperative mood ("Move cursor to …" not "Moves cursor to …").
- Reference issues and pull requests liberally.