To record data from a Neuropixels Phase3A probe, you will need:
- Headstage (IMEC-supplied)
- Cable (IMEC-supplied)
- Basestation (IMEC-supplied)
- FPGA: Xilinx Kintex-7 KC705. E.g. from Digikey
- Acquisition computer
- Required: gigabit ethernet port
- Recommended: good GPU, SSD hard drive (not the same drive the OS is on)
Phase 3B probes (on sale now) require different cables and headstages than Phase3A, and are used with a new PXIe-based system. See neuropixels.org for more. A limited number of FPGA-based recording systems for P3B were developed for testing but these are not generally available.
An example rig (old FPGA-based system)
This is an example of a complete and working setup for an anesthetized recording.