(BMD) Binary Model Data - File Format
The BMD file format is a byproduct I created in 2013 to help me manage 3d mesh data extracted from various sources. It's derived from Valve Software's SMD (StudioMDL Data) file format. The idea was to have a bare bones very simple binary file format to store mesh data that had the ability to contain skinning information and bone data.
- Simple straight forward file format which contains the basic core components like an primitive list
- Can contain multiple meshes
- Ability to store an amature (skeleton rig)
- Deformation/Skinning information (how the bones deform change the mesh)
- Material list (Information on how the mesh is textured)
- Ability to store meta data
plugins\Noesis\fmt_BinaryModelData_bmd.py Is a plugin for a popular model viewer called Noesis.
plugins\010Editor\BMD_Format.bt Used by my favrioute hex editor 010Editor to help visualize the file format.
plugins\3DSMax\2012\BMDImport.dli Dated 3DSMax 2012 plugin for importing/exporting the file format.
Located at: tools\bmdconvert.exe is a tool you can use to test convert some files to the BMD file format.
Usage: bmdconvert -f [FormatType] -x [UpAxis] --src path/to/source path/to/out Format Types: OBJ,SMD Axis: Y or Z Example: bmdconvert -f OBJ -x Z --src O:/geom/Teapot.obj O:/geom/cTeapot.bmd
Improvements & Ideas
- Store more information about the mesh (PBR materials?)
- Compress triangle list or reference same value vertex floats
- ?? (You can help decide)