Please sign in to comment.
Rework the Potion of Mutation
Shove Mutation, Cure Mutation, and Beneficial Mutation into a blender. The new !Mutation will strip 2-6 mutations, add 1-3 random mutations, then add one good mutation... in that order. It takes the spawn weights of all three previous potions, and thus is now the third most common potion in the game. (On average, ~17 will spawn in a three-rune victory.) This is subject to further change and balancing. === Gameplay effects: Once a character is mutated, then that character is permanently involved in the mutation game unless they worship Zin, because the new potion will only replace their current (mal)mutations. There is a reasonably decent chance (~39%) to acquire only good mutations. Because the new potion removes more mutations than it adds, players won't be able to gather large mutation sets without consuming the meat of mutagenic monsters. Ugly things are on the menu tonight! === A brief explanation of the philosophy behind this change: The current status of Crawl's mutation game is essentially solved: if you get malmutations, quaff Cure Mutation. If you find Beneficial Mutation, quaff it. If you're feeling lucky, or if you absolutely need to get rid of a certain malmutation and are out of Cure Mutation, then quaff Mutation. These choices are not very interesting. Cure Mutation in effect becomes a tax paid for making positioning mistakes against malmutators, and when they run out of !cmut, then for some players malmutators become top priorities, with a risk of 'permanently ruining' their character if they become too malmutated. Since the new potion generates frequently, for now, it ensures that the player will usually have the option to reroll their mutations if they get a set that they decide that they don't want to play with. The decision to reroll is also no longer binary: each mutation set is evaluated in the context of the character's abilities and strengths, and the player will decide "Is it worth risking getting something worse or better?" (Compare the Cure Mutation decision described above.) It creates a mutation baseline for most characters: at least two mutations in any given game (unless they were lucky / savvy enough to never be malmutated, and Zin-ite enough to never succumb to the purple temptation!), and likely 3+. The goal is to increase player control and interaction with the mutation mechanic, and to generate more relevant and interesting decisions that will differ on a character-by-character (or even mutation-by-mutation) basis. === New mutations, good and bad alike, will probably be added to the game. Keep an eye out! Potions of Cure Mutation and Beneficial Mutation have been removed. Most vaults containing Cure/Beneficial potions have been converted to Mutation, or another suitably good item.
- Loading branch information...
Showing with 264 additions and 254 deletions.
- +5 −5 crawl-ref/docs/crawl_manual.rst
- +1 −1 crawl-ref/source/dat/database/help.txt
- +0 −2 crawl-ref/source/dat/database/monspeak.txt
- +1 −1 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/altar/overflow.des
- +3 −4 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/branches/depths_encompass.des
- +1 −1 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/branches/pan.des
- +3 −3 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/builder/alphashops.des
- +2 −3 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/builder/shops.des
- +5 −9 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/portals/bailey.des
- +1 −1 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/portals/icecave.des
- +4 −8 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/portals/trove.des
- +4 −5 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/portals/wizlab.des
- +1 −1 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/sprint/arena_sprint.des
- +1 −1 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/sprint/linesprint.des
- +4 −4 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/sprint/menkaure.des
- +2 −2 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/sprint/pitsprint.des
- +3 −3 crawl-ref/source/dat/des/sprint/sprint_mu.des
- +2 −9 crawl-ref/source/dat/descript/items.txt
- +2 −2 crawl-ref/source/dat/dlua/ziggurat.lua
- +4 −0 crawl-ref/source/enum.h
- +0 −1 crawl-ref/source/god-item.cc
- +1 −2 crawl-ref/source/hints.cc
- +9 −3 crawl-ref/source/item-name.cc
- +1 −5 crawl-ref/source/makeitem.cc
- +190 −170 crawl-ref/source/potion.cc
- +4 −2 crawl-ref/source/rltiles/dc-item.txt
- +2 −5 crawl-ref/source/shopping.cc
- +7 −0 crawl-ref/source/tags.cc
- +1 −1 crawl-ref/source/test/stress/qw.rc
Oops, something went wrong.