Creative Commons WordPress Plugin
Official Creative Commons plugin for licensing your content. With Creative Commons licenses, keep your copyright AND share your creativity.
Download the latest version from this project's releases.
The CreativeCommons WordPress plugin gives authors the ability to license content with a Creative Commons license (Choose a License). With this plugin you can:
- License your blog (single WordPress install)
- Display license for the site, posts and pages
- Prevent license changes per site (all pages on a site must use the same license)
- License your WordPress Network (WordPress Multisite install)
- License some of your sites differently in your WordPress Network
- Prevent license changes in your WordPress Network (all pages on all sites need to use the same license)
- License all your content with the same license (license per author)
- License some posts, pages, or images differently from your default license (per content license)
- License posts and pages by simply including CC Gutenberg blocks for each license required (Gutenberg License Blocks)
- Display license information with "One Click Attribution" for images
Possible future features
Here's a list of some features we'd love to add to this plugin or support in a separate (child) plugin. If you'd like these or other features to be implemented you may consider supporting this plugin with code contributions, testing or funding Creative Commons for further development.
- Allow more kinds of media files to be licensed
- Extract license information from more kinds of media files
- Allow to search (using external search engines) for specific Creative Commons licensed media files
Code of Conduct
The Creative Commons team is committed to fostering a welcoming community. This project and all other Creative Commons open source projects are governed by our Code of Conduct. Please report unacceptable behavior to firstname.lastname@example.org per our reporting guidelines.
- Upload the "creativecommons-wordpress-plugin" folder to the "/wp-content/plugins/" directory
- Activate the plugin through the "Plugins" menu in WordPress
- From the Widgets menu, drag the License widget to the widget area in which you would like the license to appear. Otherwise, the license for each page or post will appear in the Wordpress footer area by default.
The default license used by the plugin is the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike (CC BY-SA) license. This can be easily changed including attribution, depending on the permissions by a user with the role: superadmin, site admin or author.
By default, the plugin will display a license in the footer of your theme. The license plugin is also a widget, and can be dragged to any widget area like the side-bar and all other available areas (this will suppress display of the license in the theme footer and display it only in the widget area).
Choose A Site License
To choose a site-wide license, go to the "Creative Commons" option in the "Settings" item on the left hand menu in the WordPress admin site.
Be careful when changing these options, they may affect existing published work.
Choose An Author License
When changing an individual author's license is enabled, the option to do so is included on the Users Profile page for that author.
You can change the license ("Select a default license") or the attribution ("Set attribution to").
Choose A Post Or Page License
If changing the license on individual posts and pages is enabled, the option to do so is included in the editor on the right hand side of the page under the heading "Licensed:".
You can change the license or the attribution.
Remember to save the post or page after you change its license.
Choose An Image License
In the "Attachment Details" page for an image in the Media Library, there are fields to edit license and attribution information underneath the usual Title, Caption and other fields for the image.
Images that support Exif data may include licensing metadata. Where possible the plugin extracts that metadata and uses it to pre-populate the license information fields.
Display An Image License
If you place a
[license] shortcode around an image that has licensing
metadata, that will display the license block and the One Click Attribution
If you're interested in the code have a look at the master branch for the releases. Development will be done in the development branch.
Occasionally other branches may be available to test new features or play with new ideas, but they may be deleted anytime so don't rely on those branches.
This plugin is loosely based on an existing, but seemingly abandoned WordPress plugin named 'License' (a component of the MIT Educational Collaboration Space project) by mitcho (Michael Yoshitaka Erlewine) and Brett Mellor. We're also inspired by Creative Commons' original wordpress-cc-plugin written by former Creative Commons CTO Nathan Yergler.
- Michael Yoshitaka Erlewine (License v0.5)
- Brett Mellor (License v0.5)
- Bjorn Wijers
- Matt Lee
- Rob Myers
- Tarmo Toikkanen