This repository contains a database with information about Nuclear Power Plants worldwide.
Database version: 0.17.0 (2020/04/19)
Dataset last updated in version: 0.17.15 (2022/12/30)
See CHANGELOG file for details.
Data is available in multiple formats (MySQL, JSON, and CSV).
Quick database summary (by reactor status)
code- ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code
name- country name in English
id- numeric id key
type- nuclear power plant status
id- numeric id key
type- nuclear reactor type acronym
description- nuclear reactor type long form
id- numeric id key
name- nuclear power plant name
latitude- latitude in decimal format
longitude- longitude in decimal format
country_code- ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code
status_id- nuclear power plant status id
reactor_type_id- nuclear reactor type id
reactor_model- nuclear reactor model
construction_start_at- date when nuclear power plant construction was started
operational_from- date when nuclear power plant became operational (also known as commercial operation date)
operational_to- date when nuclear power plant was shutdown (also known as permanent shutdown date)
capacity- nuclear power plant capacity (design net capacity in MWe)
source- source of the information
last_updated_at- date and time when information was last updated
iaea_id- IAEA PRIS reactor id
iaea_id columns is for maintenance purposes only and is not recommended to be used.
Known Inconsistencies (GeoNuclearData vs. WNA vs. IAEA PRIS)
- There are currently 422 reactors listed as being operational in the GeoNuclearData database, the same number as in the PRIS database. Although the China Experimental Fast Reactor (CEFR) is grid-connected and occasionally producing 20 MWe net, it is omitted from the WNA's operating nuclear power reactors table (see here) because it is considered minor and experimental, but it is included in IAEA figures for operational reactors (see here).
Reactors Under Construction
- The number of reactors listed as being under construction in the GeoNuclearData database does not match with either the number of reactors under construction from WNA's database or with the number from the PRIS database:
- In addition to the list of reactors under construction from the PRIS database, the GeoNuclearData database also contains the following reactors (as in WNA's database):
- CAP1400-1 (Shidaowan 1);
- CAP1400-1 (Shidaowan 2);
- Xiapu-2 (Xiapu 2).
- The GeoNuclearData database usually follows the naming conventions from PRIS for reactors, but in WNA's database some nuclear reactors have completely different names. Some examples are:
- BELARUSIAN-1 and 2 reactors (Belarus) are named in WNA's database Ostrovets 1 and 2, respectively;
- CAP1400-1 and 2 reactors (China) (they were unlisted from PRIS as of 30 April 2021) are named in WNA's database Shidaowan 1 and 2, respectively;
- KANUPP-1, 2, and 3 reactors (Pakistan) are named in WNA's database Karachi 1, 2, and 3.
- the coordinates found in GeoNuclearData database are approximate;
- the original source for the existing coordinates was an old Google Fusion Table dating back to March 2012 (probably sourced from WNA). Since the inception of this database some of the coordinates were manually corrected using Wikipedia/GeoHack and/or satellite imagery from Google Maps;
- the operational Akademik Lomonosov-1 and 2 reactors (Russia) and planned Bohai Shipyard FNPP and Jiaodong Shipyard FNPP (China) reactors are floating nuclear power plants thus the coordinates from this database may not necessarily indicate their current location.
SELECT npp.`id` , npp.`name` , npp.latitude , npp.longitude , c.`name` 'country' , s.type 'status' , r.type 'reactor_type' , npp.reactor_model , npp.construction_start_at , npp.operational_from , npp.operational_to FROM nuclear_power_plants npp INNER JOIN countries AS c ON npp.country_code = c.`code` INNER JOIN nuclear_power_plant_status_type AS s ON npp.status_id = s.id LEFT OUTER JOIN nuclear_reactor_type AS r ON npp.reactor_type_id = r.id ORDER BY npp.`id`
The GeoNuclearData database is made available under the Open Database License whose full text can be found at https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/.
Any rights in individual contents of the database are licensed under the Database Contents License whose full text can be found at https://opendatacommons.org/licenses/dbcl/1.0/.
Countries data is taken from Unicode Common Locale Data Repository.
Nuclear power plants data is taken from WNA/IAEA, but some other sources are used, e.g., Wikipedia.
WNA data is also taken from the IAEA PRIS reactor database, with more recent information added if available (see here).