Awesome distributed, decentralized, p2p apps or tools
Note: Links marked with "
- Aether: P2P ephemeral public communities. Open source, self-governing
- Airshare: CLI tool and module for transferring data between 2 machines in a local network, P2P, using Multicast-DNS. Works completely offline. communities with auditable moderation and mod elections.
- Agregore: A minimalistic web browser that supports multiple peer-to-peer protocols and is extensible with standard WebExtensions.
☠️: A 1-1 network pipe that auto discovers other peers using mdns. Can send text or files.
- AKASHA: A Next-Generation Social Media Network. Powered by the Ethereum world computer. Embedded into the Inter-Planetary File System.
- Beaker: Experimental browser. It adds new technologies for Peer-to-Peer applications while staying compatible with the rest of the Web.
- Berty: secure peer-to-peer messaging app that works with or without internet access, cellular data or trust in the network.
- Bitmessage: P2P communications protocol used to send encrypted messages to another person or to many subscribers.
- Cabal: P2P community offline-first chat platform.
- CacheP2P: highly distributed cache platform based on WebTorrent and runs only in the browser.
- Cactus Comments: Federated comment system for the open web built on Matrix.
- croc: Easily and securely send files and folders from one computer to another in command line.
- Cryptor: Overlay P2P network that values your privacy and anonymity above all else. Packages and some clients included.
- Dat desktop app: Decentralized data tool for distributing data small and large.
- Databag: Self-hosted lightweight federated messenger for the decentralized web. Lightweight, public-private key based identity, end-to-end encryption.
- DB3 Network: Decentralized Firebase Firestore Alternative
- Deltachat: Delta Chat is like Telegram or Whatsapp but without the tracking or central control. It doesn't have their own servers but uses the most massive and diverse open messaging system ever: the existing e-mail server network. Chat with anyone if you know their e-mail address, no need for them to install DeltaChat, all you need is a standard e-mail account.
- Demonsaw: Secure and anonymous information sharing application that makes security simple and gives you back control of your data.
- Diaspora: A privacy-aware, distributed, open source social network. Main pod is at Diasp.eu.
☠️: Share files for free on the internet. It's like Dropbox meets BitTorrent.
☠️: P2P audio publishing and streaming application. Like SoundCloud but decentralized. Built using SSB + Webtorrent.
- FileLove: Minimal p2p file transfer right in the browser, using WebTorrent.
☠️: Free peer-to-peer file transfers in your browser.
- Friendica: Decentralised communications platform that integrates social communication. Connect effortlessly to a federated communications network of several thousand servers, with more than half a million users. Directly connect to anyone on Friendica, Mastodon, Diaspora, GnuSocial, Pleroma, or Hubzilla, regardless of where each user profile is hosted.
☠️: P2P chat powered by the web. This project is alpha quality.
- Galacteek: Browser and dapps platform for the distributed web.
- Hardbin: Encrypted pastebin using IPFS.
- Handshake: Decentralized, permissionless naming protocol compatible with DNS where every peer is validating and in charge of managing the root zone with the goal of creating an alternative to existing Certificate Authorities.
- Hubzilla: General purpose platform for creating interconnected websites featuring a decentralized identity, communications, and permissions framework built using common webserver technology.
- Hyperpad: Peer-to-peer collaborative text editor.
- Element (formerly Riot): Collaboration client for the web. Chat, VOIP video, file transfer, end-to-end crypto.
- I2P: Anonymous network, exposing a simple layer that applications can use to anonymously and securely send messages to each other.
- instant.io: Streaming file transfer over WebTorrent (torrents on the web).
- IPFS bin
☠️: Pastebin application for sharing code and text documents to other people.
- ipfs-chat: Terminal-based, secure chatrooms using IPFS. Works over both LAN and internet (includes NAT traversal). Supports private-messaging and file/directory sharing.
- IPFS Desktop: A native application to run your own IPFS Node.
- ipfs-pinner: A toolkit helps upload files to IPFS pinning services such as Infura, Pinata, NFT.Storage and Web3.Storage.
☠️: Commandline tool for searching and downloading files in LAN network, without any central server.
- Jami: Free and universal communication platform which preserves the user's privacy and freedoms. Desktop and mobile apps for text messaging, video and audio calls, file transfer, video conferencing.
- LCVPN: Light decentralized VPN in golang.
- LF: Fully decentralized fully replicated key/value store. Fully decentralized means anyone can run a node without obtaining special permission, and all nodes are effectively equal. Fully replicated means every node stores all data.
- MaidSafe: Decentralized internet and app infrastructure which rewards users for participating in the network.
- Manyverse: A social network off the grid. Scuttlebutt for mobile.
- Mastodon: Social networking, back in your hands. Follow friends, discover new ones. Publish anything you want: links, pictures, text, video. A platform that is community-owned and ad-free.
- Meshbird: Meshbird enables distributed private networking across geographically dispersed datacenters.
- Meshenger: Voice/Video Android phone App that works on the local LAN and does not need Internet access/servers/accounts.
- Mobilizon: A federated tool that helps you find, create and organise events.
- Neocities: Geocities-style websites, but decentralized.
- NewNode: Decentralized Content Distribution Network (dCDN).
- norcal: P2P command-line calendar in Node.js. Can sync, link, embed, and edit offline.
☠️: Versioned, forkable, syncable decentralized database, philosophically descendant from the Git version control system. Nobody is working on this right now.
- Nostr - A decentralized social network with a chance of working. A simple, open protocol that enables a truly censorship-resistant and global social network (https://nostr.com/)
- OnionShare: Open source tool that lets you securely and anonymously share a file of any size.
- Open Bazaar: Decentralized network for P2P commerce online - using Bitcoin - that has no fees and no restrictions.
- Orbit: Distributed, serverless, peer-to-peer chat application on IPFS.
☠️: Onion Routed Cloud, a decentralized, anonymous, file storage platform. It uses the Tor network.
- Orion: Easy to Use, Inter Planetary File System (IPFS) desktop client.
- Patchwork: Decentralized messaging and sharing app built on top of Secure Scuttlebutt (SSB). Another alternative interface is Patchbay.
☠️: Send a file p2p and e2e encrypted using nothing but your browser.
- PeerTube: Video streaming platform using BitTorrent directly in the web browser, with WebTorrent and Angular. Demo server at peertube.cpy.re.
- Philes: A simple IPFS-powered decentralized notepad app.
- Pleroma: Federated social networking server built on open protocols. It is compatible with GNU Social, Mastodon, and many other ActivityPub and OStatus implementations.
- Pollen: A decentralized messaging service that functions without any internet or mesh connection. Written in Python.
- Qaul: Internet independent wireless mesh communication App. Uses interlinked P2P mesh via BLE, Wifi & Internet-overlay.
☠️: Transfer files directly to another browser, your peer will be able to download the file directly from you.
- Retroshare: Encrypted connections between you and your friends to create a network of computers, and provides various distributed services on top of it: forums, channels, chat, mail...
- Ricochet: Different approach to instant messaging that doesn’t trust anyone in protecting your privacy. It uses the Tor network.
- Roll-Call: Free and reliable audio calls for everyone w/ browser P2P.
- SimpleX chat: A decentralized terminal-based chat (a mobile app coming soon) with a focus on users’ privacy. It doesn't use any global user identities (not even random IDs), supports groups and sending files.
☠️: Clone of Apple AirDrop service. Allows transferring files directly between devices, without having to upload them to any server first.
- SocialHome: Federated personal profile with social networking functionality. Users can create rich content using Markdown and even HTML/JS/CSS. All content can be pinned to the user profile and all content will federate to contacts in the federated social web.
- Steemit: Blockchain-based social media platform where anyone can earn rewards.
- Storj: Blockchain-based, end-to-end encrypted, distributed object storage, where only you have access to your data.
- Syncthing-GTK: GUI for Syncthing - a continuous file synchronization program.
☠️: P2P rewrite of the Open Bay/Pirate Bay. It uses a completely distributed protocol to share entries between numerous nodes. This makes it nearly impossible to take down by seizure of servers. Each node contains a complete copy, and any changes are propagated through the network.
☠: Decentralized social platform for people to share knowledge and exchange value, with P2P messaging encrypted feature. Built on top of Secure Scuttlebutt (SSB).
- Tox: Instant messaging application, without central servers. The system is distributed, peer-to-peer, and end-to-end encrypted.
- twtxt: Decentralized microblogging platform "for hackers" based on text files. The user is "followed" and "mentioned" by referencing the URL to their twtxt.txt file and a nickname.
- Vdo.Ninja: 100% free; no downloads; no personal data collection; no sign-in, cutting edge Peer-to-Peer forwarding technology that offers privacy and ultra-low latency
☠️: P2P pipe across the web using webrtc that uses Github private/public key for authentication and a signalhub for discovery. Can send text or files.
- WebTorrent Desktop: WebTorrent Desktop is for streaming torrents. It connects to both BitTorrent and WebTorrent peers.
- YaCy: Free distributed search engine, built on principles of P2P networks.
- ZeroNet: Open, free and uncensorable websites, using Bitcoin cryptography and BitTorrent network. Uncensored, no hosting costs, always accessible.
- ArcBlock: ArcBlock is a decentralized developer platform that simplifies the development of DApps, DLT and Blockchains.
- m-ld: A software library enabling distributed applications to read and write shared information consistently with zero latency, using Semantic Web technology and CRDTs (Conflict-Free Replicated Data Types).
- Solid: Solid was created by the inventor of the World Wide Web, Sir Tim Berners-Lee. Solid is a specification that lets people store their data securely in decentralized data stores called Pods. Pods are like secure personal web servers for your data. For developer resources, see Developer Resources. For a listing of some Solid applications, see Solid Applications.
- Blockstack: The new decentralized internet. Platform for application development with built in decentralized DNS.
- Cryptosphere: Open-source P2P web application platform for decentralized, privacy-preserving software which keeps users in control of their own content.
- okTurtles: DNSChain = Secure Blockchain Access and BlockchainID = decentralized web login.
- Blockply: Blockply is a collection of the most interesting & outstanding Blockchain projects.
- DataToken: A decentralized access control system for off-chain data sharing and monetization. Its vision is to make the data flows more transparent, by returning data ownership to its owners while maintaining the computability of data.
To the extent possible under law, the author of this page has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.