Clone this wiki locally
Please add to this page if you discover new terms which are missing.
See also Architecture.
- Node – A server which is managed by Crowbar.
- Admin Node – Node which the Crowbar/Chef servers run on
- Compute Node – a node which has an OpenStack Compute (Nova) Role.
Controller Node – Has the Nova-Controller/Keystone/… Role
- Controller Nodes – can be one or many (ie Keystone Controller, Swift-Proxy Controller, MySQL Controller,…)
- Swift-Proxy Node – Has the swift-proxy role
Crowbar Install Items
- Sledgehammer - a PXE-bootable image for performing hardware discovery and inventory on nodes before they are assigned to particular roles.
- Openstack ISO – the ISO that is used to create the Admin Node for Openstack (based Ubuntu OS)
- Hadoop ISO - the ISO that is used to create the Admin Node for Hadoop (based on RedHat OS)
- bluepill - a process/daemon monitor written in ruby.
- rainbows - a ruby web/application server
Crowbar UI & Chef Items
- barclamp - A set of data, templates and other necessary logic for applying a particular role to a node, or to some set of nodes.
- proposal - the old name for configuration
- configuration a collection of barclamp-specific settings and a list of role assignments to nodes against which the barclamp will trigger configuration management tasks when the configuration is applied
- role - a subset of configuration that has been or will be applied to a node so that it can serve a particular purpose (e.g. run a particular system service or OpenStack component)
- Chef - an automated configuration management platform.
- recipe - a group of chef scripts (written in Chef/Ruby) and templates used by chef to deploy a unit of functionality.
- cookbook - a collection of chef recipes which deploy a software stack or technology. It is the unit of distribution for chef.