SocialClub2 is a project designed primarily to ease the management of larger 'social clubs.' In this context, a social club is a group of people who share a common interest and want to organize common events or trips.
The original SocialClub was written by Baron Schwartz for use by Outdoors at UVA and another outing club in Charlottesville, VA. Although the code still works as designed, it has been hard to maintain and cross-train new developers on it, leading to a website that is lacking features that are currently desired.
SocialClub2's goals are as follows:
- Provide a nice, modern way to create/join/manage events for members.
- Provide an easy-to-use way for members to submit expenses.
- Provide some integration with Facebook and/or Google+ (scope still undecided).
- Provide integration with PayPal or another payment system.
- CakePHP has been chosen as the framework for SocialClub2, based on:
- Written in PHP, therefore can be run on a myriad of cheap shared hosts
- Ability to make use of existing plugins
- Less need to write app-specific documentation!
Please contact @ctaintor if you'd like to help out