A wafer-thin web application for running small conferences. Built using Django.
Licensed under the ISC License.
Available on readthedocs.org.
Supported Django versions
Wafer supports Django 1.11 and Django 2.0.
wafer can be installed either from pypi (
pip install wafer) or from the github repository.
If installing from github,
pip install -r requirements.txtshould install all the required python and django dependencies.
Wafer uses npm to manage front-end dependencies
- Make sure you have a recent version of Node.js installed that
npm installto install all dependencies, which also copies them to
- Make sure you have a recent version of Node.js installed that includes
Install the wafer applications
If you don't have one yet, create a superuser with
settings.pyfile and create a
localsettings.pyfile overriding the defaults as required.
WAFER_PUBLIC_ATTENDEE_LISTwill probably need to be overridden.
If you add extensions to
MARKITUP_FILTER, be sure to install the appropriate python packages as well.
Log in and configure the Site:
- The domain will be used as the base for e-mails sent during registration.
- The name will be the conference's name.
Wafer uses the Django caching infrastructure in several places, so the cache table needs to be created using
Create the default 'Page Editors' and 'Talk Mentors' groups using
Have a fun conference.
The default templates and css files require jquery and bootstrap to work.
wafer provides a bower.json file to simplify the installation process. This requires a working nodejs installation.
- Install bower
npm install bower
- Use bower to install appropriate versions of bootstrap and jquery
$(npm bin)/bower install
- Move files to the correct location
- Support for adding and editing sponsors via Django admin.
- Schedule can be created and updated via Django admin.
- Pages for static content, news and so forth can be handled via Django admin.
- Can be delegated to the 'Page Editors' group.
- Pages can be updated via the web interface.
- Talk submissions, review and acceptance.
- Generate a static version of the site for archival.
- Make the code easier to use for other conferences (split out theming, etc.).
- Improve the talk submission management module:
- Better display of accepted talks.
- Make various messages easier to customise.
- Improve admin support for the schedule:
- Show table of slots in admin interface.
- Improve handling of moving talks around.
- Support for adding news (and other templated pages) via Django admin.
- Maybe add some cool visualizations with d3:
- Number of people signed up in various categories.
- Places remaining.
- Sponsorship slots remaining.
- Days until various deadlines.
- Other improvements
- Add many tests