CSCI-3656 Numerical Computation
CU Boulder: CSCI 3656 (Spring 2020)
Meeting Time: Tue/Thu 9:30-10:45pm in HALE 230
- Jed: Mon/Fri 10-11am, Thu 2-3:15pm, or by appointment. ECOT 824.
- Sourav (GSS): Friday 3-4pm in CSEL.
- Nithin (GSS): Wed 2:30-3:30pm in CSEL.
Follow this calendar for updates/exceptions
- 2020-01-14: First day activity
- 2020-01-21: Homework 1: Rootfinding
- 2020-01-23: Activity: Newton
- 2020-01-28: Activity: Conditioning
- 2020-01-30: Activity: Stability
- 2020-02-04: Canceled due to weather
- 2020-02-06: Activity: Geometry of Linear Transformations
- 2020-02-11: Moodle "quiz" on projections
- 2020-02-18: Homework 2: QR factorization of polynomials, due 2020-02-28
- 2020-02-20: Activity: QR
- 2020-02-25: Resources: LAPACK
dgeqrfto compute QR factorization in-place,
dormqrto apply action of Q to a matrix C in-place. Compare Julia's
qr, which is simultaneously a full and reduced factorization, with Python's, which flattens to naive representation of Q.
- 2020-02-27: Quiz and Midterm study guide
- 2020-03-05 Midterm
- 2020-03-10: Activity: low-rank matrices
- 2020-03-17: Activity: polynomial interpolation Recorded Zoom
- 2020-03-19: Activity: piecewise interpolation Recorded Zoom
- 2020-03-31: Activity: bias-variance tradeoff
- 2020-04-02: Introduction of regression as optmization; assign reading for next class: Numerical Differentiation (check your email for access code)
- 2020-04-07: Activity: numerical differentiation
- 2020-04-09: Activity: regression
- 2020-04-14: Individual Project and Activity: surface projections
- 2020-04-21: Activity: integration
- 2020-04-30 (last day of classes) Activity: Avalanche control
- Final projects (team presentations and peer evaluation in groups)
Git and Jupyter
Course materials and assignments are maintained on GitHub. You will need to create a GitHub account (free) if you don't already have one. Please submit issues in the class repository to report problems or ask questions.
Please enroll in this class on Moodle.