Contributing to Cube.js
Thanks for taking the time for contribution to Cube.js! We're very welcoming community and while it's very much appreciated if you follow these guidelines it's not a requirement.
Code of Conduct
This project and everyone participating in it is governed by the Cube.js Code of Conduct. By participating, you are expected to uphold this code. Please report unacceptable behavior to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cube.js works with Node.js 8+ and uses yarn as a package manager.
- After cloning Cube.js repository run
packages/cubejs-reactto install dependencies.
$ yarn linkto add these packages to link registry.
- Perform required code changes.
$ yarn buildin the repository root to build CommonJS and UMD modules.
$ yarn link @cubejs-client/coreand/or
$ yarn link @cubejs-client/reactin your project to test changes applied.
$ yarn testwhere available to test your changes.
- Ensure commit CommonJS and UMD modules as part of your commit.
- Copy existing driver package structure and name it in
@cubejs-backend/mysql-driveris very good candidate for copying this structure.
- Please do not copy CHANGELOG.md.
- Name driver class and adjust package.json, README.md accordingly.
- As a rule of thumb please use only Pure JS libraries as a dependencies where possible. It increases driver adoption rate a lot.
- Typically you need to implement only
testConnection()methods of driver. The rest will be done by
- If db requires connection pooling prefer use
generic-poolimplementation with settings similar to other db packages.
- Make sure your driver has
release()method in case DB expects graceful shutdowns for connections.
- Please use yarn to add any dependencies and run
$ yarnwithin the package before committing to ensure right
yarn.lockis in place.
- Add this driver dependency to cubejs-server-core/core/index.js.
Implementing JDBC Driver
If there's existing JDBC Driver in place for Database of interest you can just create
DbTypes configuration inside
Most of times no additional adjustments required for base
JDBCDriver implementation as JDBC is pretty standard.
In case you need to tweak it a little bit please follow Implementing Driver steps but use
JDBCDriver as your base driver class.
Implementing SQL Dialect
- Find most similar
- Copy it and adjust SQL generation accordingly.
@cubejs-backend/schema-compiler/adapter/QueryBuilder.jswith same name as driver.
We're passionate about what code can do rather how it's formatted. But in order to make code and docs maintainable following style guides will be enforced. Following these guidelines is not a requirement but you can save some time for maintainers if you apply those to your contribution beforehand.
npm run lintin package before committing your changes. If package doesn't have lint script, please add it and run. There's one root
.eslintrc.jsfile for all packages except client ones. Client packages has it's own
npm testbefore committing if package has tests.
- Please use conventional commits name for your PR. It'll be used to build change logs. All PRs are merged using squash so only PR name matters.