Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Install Apache Maven
Maven is the build tool that Cytoscape 3 project uses to build the Cytoscape application. To develop Cytoscape apps, developers should install Maven on their computer if it is not already installed.
Maven can be downloaded from this page http://maven.apache.org/download.cgi Make sure you download Maven version 3.0 or higher.
Follow the above download link to download the ZIP file, 'apache-maven-x.x.x-bin.zip'.
- unzip the zip file, put it somewhere you like
- put the Maven 'bin' directory in your Path. Open Explorer, right click Computer, choose Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> Environment Variables. Edit the path variable, and add the path to maven bin directory there.
Open a command prompt and type the command "mvn -v" - you should get the version number of Maven.
Maven may already been installed with your system. To check if Maven has been installed, open a Terminal and type the command "mvn -v". If this shows that Apache Maven version 3.0 or higher is installed, you're good to go. If not, you can download it from the above download link. The file you should download is apache-maven-x.x.x-bin.tar.gz.
After you get the file, open a terminal and type the following command
tar -xvf apache-maven-x.x.x-bin.tar
After all the files are extracted, you will find the executable mvn in the bin directory. Add this directory to your PATH (in .profile and/or .bashrc in your home directory).
To keep your maven version up-to-date, you can use Homebrew instead of pre-installed version.
brew install maven
brew update brew upgrade maven
- Check if Maven is already installed on your computer with command: mvn -v
- If Maven is not installed, install it with command (Ubuntu): apt-get install maven
- If you are using RedHat Linux, use the command: yum install maven