WIP (add new stuff for the next release)
OfflineIMAP v6.5.4 (2012-06-02)
- bump bundled imaplib2 library 2.29 --> 2.33
- Actually perform the SSL fingerprint check (reported by J. Cook)
- Curses UI, don't use colors after we shut down curses already (C.Höger)
- Document that '%' needs encoding as '%%' in *.conf
- Fix crash when IMAP.quickchanged() led to an Error (reported by sharat87)
- Implement the createfolders setting to disable folder propagation (see docs)
OfflineIMAP v22.214.171.124 (2012-04-03)
- Don't fail if no dry-run setting exists in offlineimap.conf (introduced in 6.5.3)
OfflineIMAP v6.5.3 (2012-04-02)
- --dry-run mode protects us from performing any actual action. It will not precisely give the exact information what will happen. If e.g. it would need to create a folder, it merely outputs "Would create folder X", but not how many and which mails it would transfer.
- internal code changes to prepare for Python3
- Improve user documentation of nametrans/folderfilter
- Fixed some cases where invalid nametrans rules were not caught and we would not propagate local folders to the remote repository. (now tested in test03)
- Revert "* Slight performance enhancement uploading mails to an IMAP server in the common case." It might have led to instabilities.
- Revamped documentation structure. make in the docs dir or make doc in the root dir will now create the 1) man page and 2) the user documentation using sphinx (requiring python-doctools, and sphinx). The resulting user docs are in docs/html. You can also only create the man pages with make man in the docs dir.
- -f command line option only works on the untranslated remote repository folder names now. Previously folderfilters had to match both the local AND remote name which caused unwanted behavior in combination with nametrans rules. Clarify in the help text.
- Some better output when using nonsensical configuration settings
- Improve compatability of the curses UI with python 2.6
OfflineIMAP v126.96.36.199 (2012-04-04)
- Fix python2.6 compatibility with the TTYUI backend (crash)
- Fix TTYUI regression from 6.5.2 in refresh loop (crash)
- Fix crashes related to UIDVALIDITY returning "None"
- Beginning of a test suite. So far there is only one test. Configure test/credentials.conf and invoke with "python setup.py test"
- Make folders containing quotes work rather than crashing (reported by Mark Eichin)
- Improve delete msg performance with SQLITE backend
- Enforce basic UI when using the --info switch
- Remove the Gmail "realdelete" option, as it could lead to potential data loss.
OfflineIMAP v6.5.2 (2012-01-17)
- Gmail "realdelete" option is considered harmful and has the potential for data loss. Analysis at http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.offlineimap.general/5265 Warnings were added to offlineimap.conf
- Rather than write out the nametrans'lated folder names for mbnames, we now write out the local untransformed box names. This is generally what we want. This became relevant since we support nametrans rules on the local side since only a short time. Reported by Paul Collignan.
- Some sanity checks and improved error messages.
- Revert 188.8.131.52 change to use public imaplib2 function, it was reported to not always work.
- Don't fail when ~/netrc is not readable by us.
- Don't emit noisy regular sleeping announcements in Basic UI.
OfflineIMAP v184.108.40.206 (2012-01-07) - "Baby steps"
Smallish bug fixes that deserve to be put out.
- Fix possible crash during --info run
- Fix reading in Maildirs, where we would attempt to create empty directories on REMOTE.
- Do not attempt to sync lower case custom Maildir flags. We do not support them (yet) (this prevents many scary bogus sync messages)
- Add filter information to the filter list in --info output
OfflineIMAP v220.127.116.11 (2012-01-07) - "Das machine control is nicht fur gerfinger-poken und mittengrabben"
Blinkenlights UI 6.5.0 regression fixes only.
- Sleep led to crash ('abort_signal' not existing)
- Make exit via 'q' key work again cleanly
OfflineIMAP v6.5.1 (2012-01-07) - "Quest for stability"
- Fixed Maildir regression "flagmatchre" not found. (regressed in 6.5.0)
- Have console output go by default to STDOUT and not STDERR (regression in 6.5.0)
- Fixed MachineUI to urlencode() output lines again, rather than outputting multi-line items. It's ugly as hell, but it had been that way for years.
- Remove the old global locking system. We lock only the accounts that we currently sync, so you can invoke OfflineImap multiple times now as long as you sync different accounts. This system is compatible with all releases >= 6.4.0, so don't run older releases simultanous to this one.
OfflineIMAP v6.5.0 (2012-01-06)
This is a CRITICAL bug fix release for everyone who is on the 6.4.x series. Please upgrade to avoid potential data loss! The version has been bumped to 6.5.0, please let everyone know that the 6.4.x series is problematic.
- Uploading multiple emails to an IMAP server would lead to wrong UIDs being returned (ie the same for all), which confused offlineimap and led to recurrent upload/download loops and inconsistencies in the IMAP<->IMAP uid mapping.
- Uploading of Messages from Maildir and IMAP<->IMAP has been made more efficient by renaming files/mapping entries, rather than actually loading and saving the message under a new UID.
- Fix regression that broke MachineUI
OfflineIMAP v6.4.4 (2012-01-06)
This is a bugfix release, fixing regressions occurring in or since 6.4.0.
- Fix the missing folder error that occured when a new remote folder was detected (IMAP<->Maildir)
- Possibly fixed bug that prevented us from ever re-reading Maildir folders, so flag changes and deletions were not detected when running in a refresh loop. This is a regression that was introduced in about 6.4.0.
- Never mangle maildir file names when using nonstandard Maildir flags (such as 'a'), note that they will still be deleted as they are not supported in the sync to an IMAP server.
OfflineIMAP v6.4.3 (2012-01-04)
- add a --info command line switch that outputs useful information about the server and the configuration for all enabled accounts.
- Reworked logging which was reported to e.g. not flush output to files often enough. User-visible changes: a) console output goes to stderr (for now). b) file output has timestamps and looks identical in the basic and ttyui UIs. c) File output should be flushed after logging by default (do report if not).
- Bumped bundled imaplib2 to release 2.29
- Make ctrl-c exit cleanly rather aborting brutally (which could leave around temporary files, half-written cache files, etc). Exiting on SIGTERM and CTRL-C can take a little longer, but will be clean.
OfflineIMAP v6.4.2 (2011-12-01)
- IMAP<->IMAP sync with a readonly local IMAP repository failed with a rather mysterious "TypeError: expected a character buffer object" error. Fix this my retrieving the list of folders early enough even for readonly repositories.
- Fix regression from 6.4.0. When using local Maildirs with "/" as a folder separator, all folder names would get a trailing slash appended, which is plain wrong.
OfflineIMAP v6.4.1 (2011-11-17)
- Indicate progress when copying many messages (slightly change log format)
- Output how long an account sync took (min:sec).
- Syncing multiple accounts in single-threaded mode would fail as we try to "register" a thread as belonging to two accounts which was fatal. Make it non-fatal (it can be legitimate).
- New folders on the remote would be skipped on the very sync run they are created and only by synced in subsequent runs. Fixed.
- a readonly parameter to select() was not always treated correctly, which could result in some folders being opened read-only when we really needed read-write.
OfflineIMAP v6.4.0 (2011-09-29)
This is the first stable release to support the forward-compatible per-account locks and remote folder creation that has been introduced in the 6.3.5 series.
- Various regression and bug fixes from the last couple of RCs
OfflineIMAP v6.3.5-rc3 (2011-09-21)
- Refresh server capabilities after login, so we know that Gmail supports UIDPLUS (it only announces that after login, not before). This prevents us from adding custom headers to Gmail uploads.
- Fix the creation of folders on remote repositories, which was still botched on rc2.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.5-rc2 (2011-09-19)
- Implement per-account locking, so that it will possible to sync different accounts at the same time. The old global lock is still in place for backward compatibility reasons (to be able to run old and new versions of OfflineImap concurrently) and will be removed in the future. Starting with this version, OfflineImap will be forward-compatible with the per-account locking style.
- Implement RFC 2595 LOGINDISABLED. Warn the user and abort when we attempt a plaintext login but the server has explicitly disabled plaintext logins rather than crashing.
- Folders will now also be automatically created on the REMOTE side of an account if they exist on the local side. Use the folderfilters setting on the local side to prevent some folders from migrating to the remote side. Also, if you have a nametrans setting on the remote repository, you might need a nametrans setting on the local repository that leads to the original name (reverse nametrans).
- Documentation improvements concerning 'restoreatime' and some code cleanup
- Maildir repositories now also respond to folderfilter= configurations.
- New emails are not created with "-rwxr-xr-x" but as "-rw-r--r--" anymore, fixing a regression in 6.3.4.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.5-rc1 (2011-09-12)
Idle feature and SQLite backend leave the experimental stage! ,-)
- When a message upload/download fails, we do not abort the whole folder synchronization, but only skip that message, informing the user at the end of the sync run.
- If you connect via ssl and 'cert_fingerprint' is configured, we check that the server certificate is actually known and identical by comparing the stored sha1 fingerprint with the current one.
- Refactor our IMAPServer class. Background work without user-visible changes.
- Remove the configurability of the Blinkenlights statuschar. It cluttered the main configuration file for little gain.
- Updated bundled imaplib2 to version 2.28.
- We protect more robustly against asking for inexistent messages from the IMAP server, when someone else deletes or moves messages while we sync.
- Selecting inexistent folders specified in folderincludes now throws nice errors and continues to sync with all other folders rather than exiting offlineimap with a traceback.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.4 (2011-08-10)
Here we are. A nice release since v6.3.3, I think.
- Handle when UID can't be found on saved messages.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.4-rc4 (2011-07-27)
There is nothing exciting in this release. This is somewhat expected due to the late merge on -rc3.
- Support maildir for Windows.
- Manual improved.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.4-rc3 (2011-07-07)
Here is a surprising release. :-)
As expected we have a lot bug fixes in this round (see git log for details), including a fix for a bug we had for ages (details below) which is a very good news.
What makes this cycle so unusual is that I merged a feature to support StartTLS automatically (thanks Sebastian!). Another very good news.
We usually don't do much changes so late in a cycle. Now, things are highly calming down and I hope a lot of people will test this release. Next one could be the stable!
- Added StartTLS support, it will automatically be used if the server supports it.
- We protect more robustly against asking for inexistent messages from the IMAP server, when someone else deletes or moves messages while we sync.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.4-rc2 (2011-06-15)
This was a very active rc1 and we could expect a lot of new fixes for the next release.
The most important fix is about a bug that could lead to data loss. Find more information about his bug here:
The IDLE support is merged as experimental feature.
- Implement experimental IDLE feature.
- Maildirs use less memory while syncing.
- Saving to Maildirs now checks for file existence without race conditions.
- A bug in the underlying imap library has been fixed that could potentially lead to data loss if the server interrupted responses with unexpected but legal server status responses. This would mainly occur in folders with many thousands of emails. Upgrading from the previous release is strongly recommended.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.4-rc1 (2011-05-16)
Welcome to the v6.3.4 pre-release cycle. Your favorite IMAP tool wins 2 new features which were asked for a long time: * an experimental SQL-based backend for the local cache; * one-way synchronization cabability.
Logic synchronization is reviewed and simplified (from 4 to 3 passes) giving improved performance.
Lot of work was done to give OfflineIMAP a better code base. Raised errors can now rely on a new error system and should become the default in the coming releases.
As usual, we ask our users to test this release as much as possible, especially the SQL backend. Have fun!
- Begin sphinx-based documentation for the code.
- Enable 1-way synchronization by settting a [Repository ...] to readonly = True. When e.g. using offlineimap for backup purposes you can thus make sure that no changes in your backup trickle back into the main IMAP server.
- Optional: experimental SQLite-based backend for the LocalStatus cache. Plain text remains the default.
- Start a enhanced error handling background system. This is designed to not stop a whole sync process on all errors (not much used, yet).
- Documentation improvements: the FAQ wins new entries and add a new HACKING file for developers.
- Lot of code cleanups.
- Reduced our sync logic from 4 passes to 3 passes (integrating upload of "new" and "existing" messages into one function). This should result in a slight speedup.
- No whitespace is stripped from comma-separated arguments passed via the -f option.
- Give more detailed error when encountering a corrupt UID mapping file.
- Drop connection if synchronization failed. This is needed if resuming the system from suspend mode gives a wrong connection.
- Fix the offlineimap crash when invoking debug option 'thread'.
- Make 'thread' command line option work.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.3 (2011-04-24)
Make this last candidate cycle short. It looks like we don't need more tests as most issues were raised and solved in the second round. Also, we have huge work to merge big and expected features into OfflineIMAP.
Thanks to all contributors, again. With such a contribution rate, we can release stable faster. I hope it will be confirmed in the longer run!
- Improved documentation for querying password.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.3-rc3 (2011-04-19)
It's more than a week since the previous release. Most of the issues raised were discussed and fixed since last release. I think we can be glad and confident for the future while the project live his merry life.
- The -f option did not work with Folder names with spaces. It works now, use with quoting e.g. -f "INBOX, Deleted Mails".
- Improved documentation.
- Bump from imaplib2 v2.20 to v2.22.
- Code refactoring.
- Fix IMAP4 tunnel with imaplib2.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.3-rc2 (2011-04-07)
We are now at the third week of the -rc1 cycle. I think it's welcome to begin the -rc2 cycle. Things are highly calming down in the code even if we had much more feedbacks than usual. Keep going your effort!
- I'd like to thank reporters who involved in this cycle:
- Баталов Григорий
- Alexander Skwar
- Christoph Höger
- Greg Grossmeier
- Iain Dalton
- Pan Tsu
- Vincent Beffara
- Will Styler
(my apologies if I forget somebody) ...and all active developers, of course!
The imaplib2 migration looks to go the right way to be definetly released but still needs more tests. So, here we go...
- Increase compatability with Gmail servers which claim to not support the UIDPLUS extension but in reality do.
- Fix hang when using Ctrl+C in some cases.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.3-rc1 (2011-03-16)
Here is time to begin the tests cycle. If feature topics are sent, I may merge or delay them until the next stable release.
Main change comes from the migration from imaplib to imaplib2. It's internal code changes and doesn't impact users. UIDPLUS and subjectAltName for SSL are also great improvements.
This release includes a hang fix due to infinite loop. Users seeing OfflineIMAP hang and consuming a lot of CPU are asked to update.
That beeing said, this is still an early release candidate you should use for non-critical data only!
- Implement UIDPLUS extension support. OfflineIMAP will now not insert an X-OfflineIMAP header if the mail server supports the UIDPLUS extension.
- SSL: support subjectAltName.
- Use imaplib2 instead of imaplib.
- Makefile use magic to find the version number.
- Rework the repository module
- Change UI names to Blinkenlights,TTYUI,Basic,Quiet,MachineUI. Old names will still work, but are deprecated. Document that we don't accept a list of UIs anymore.
- Reworked the syncing strategy. The only user-visible change is that blowing away LocalStatus will not require you to redownload ALL of your mails if you still have the local Maildir. It will simply recreate LocalStatus.
- TTYUI ouput improved.
- Code cleanups.
- Fix ignoring output while determining the rst2xxx command name to build documentation.
- Fix hang because of infinite loop reading EOF.
- Allow SSL connections to send keep-alive messages.
- Fix regression (UIBase is no more).
- Make profiling mode really enforce single-threading
- Do not send localized date strings to the IMAP server as it will either ignore or refuse them.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.2 (2010-02-21)
First of all I'm really happy to announce our new official website. Most of the work started from the impulse of Philippe LeCavalier with the help of Sebastian Spaeth and other contributors. Thanks to everybody.
In this release, we are still touched by the "SSL3 write pending" but I think time was long enough to try to fix it. We have our first entry in the "KNOWN BUG" section of the manual about that. I'm afraid it could impact a lot of users if some distribution package any SSL library not having underlying (still obscure) requirements. Distribution maintainers should be care of it. I hope this release will help us to have more reports.
This release will also be the root of our long maintenance support.
Other bugs were fixed.
- Fix craches for getglobalui().
- Fix documentation build.
- Restore compatibiliy with python 2.5.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.2-rc3 (2010-02-06)
We are still touched by the "SSL3 write pending" bug it would be really nice to fix before releasing the coming stable. In the worse case, we'll have to add the first entry in the "KNOWN BUG" section of the manual. I'm afraid it could impact a lot of users if some distribution package any SSL library not having underlying (still obscure) requirements.
The best news with this release are the Curse UI fixed and the better reports on errors.
In this release I won't merge any patch not fixing a bug or a security issue.
More feedbacks on the main issue would be appreciated.
- Sample offlineimap.conf states it expects a PEM formatted certificat.
- Give better trace information if an error occurs.
- Have --version ONLY print the version number.
- Code cleanups.
- Fix Curses UI (simplified by moving from MultiLock to Rlock implementation).
- Makefile: docutils build work whether python extension command is stripped or not.
- Makefile: clean now removes HTML documentation files.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.2-rc2 (2010-12-21)
We are beginning a new tests cycle. At this stage, I expect most people will try to intensively stuck OfflineIMAP. :-)
- Makefile learn to build the package and make it the default.
- Introduce a Changelog to involve community in the releasing process.
- Migrate documentation to restructuredtext.
- Improve CustomConfig documentation.
- Imply single threading mode in debug mode exept for "-d thread".
- Code and import cleanups.
- Allow UI to have arbitrary names.
- Code refactoring around UI and UIBase.
- Improve version managment and make it easier.
- Introduce a true single threading mode.
- Understand multiple EXISTS replies from servers like Zimbra.
- Only verify hostname if we actually use CA cert.
- Fix ssl ca-cert in the sample configuration file.
- Fix 'Ctrl+C' interruptions in threads.
- Fix makefile clean for files having whitespaces.
- Fix makefile to not remove unrelated files.
- Fixes in README.
- Remove uneeded files.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.2-rc1 (2010-12-19)
We are beginning a tests cycle. If feature topics are sent, I may merge or delay them until the next stable release.
- Primitive implementation of SSL certificates check.
- Use OptionParser instead of getopts.
- Code cleanups.
- Fix reading password from UI.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.1 (2010-12-11)
Yes, I know I've just annouced the v6.3.0 in the same week. As said, it was not really a true release for the software. This last release includes fixes and improvements it might be nice to update to.
Thanks to every body who helped to make this release with patches and tips through the mailing list. This is clearly a release they own.
- cProfile becomes the default profiler. Sebastian Spaeth did refactoring to prepare to the coming unit test suites.
- UI output formating enhanced.
- Some code cleanups.
- Fix possible overflow while working with Exchange.
- Fix time sleep while exiting threads.
OfflineIMAP v6.3.0 (2010-12-09)
This release is more "administrative" than anything else and mainly marks the change of the maintainer. New workflow and policy for developers come in. BTW, I don't think I'll maintain debian/changelog. At least, not in the debian way.
Most users and maintainers may rather want to skip this release.
- Fix terminal display on exit.
- netrc password authentication.
- User name querying from netrc.