Deep Learning Study Group
In this free online study program, we will be studying the "Dive into Deep Learning" book by Aston Zhang, Zack C. Lipton, Mu Li, and Alex J. Smola.
All study sessions will be free and fully-remote. All sessions will be recorded and uploaded to YouTube.
Unlike other study groups, the format (tentative) will be as follows:
- Chapters will be presented with slides, which will be followed by code walkthroughs
- For every session, there will be a segment for discussion and Q&A
- After every session, we will assign take-home exercises corresponding to the material covered in that session. We will ask you to upload programming solutions either through GitHub or Google Colab. Find the instructions for each assignment in the full schedule below.
- Before every session, we will provide a list of extra reading material, ahead of time, that will be helpful for the upcoming session.
- We plan to have guest lectures and presentations to provide additional practical value to students (TBA)
- There will be one final project which will be done in groups. The groups have to present their work towards the end of the program. (More information coming soon!)
- Make sure to join our Slack group(channel: #d2l-study-group) for the latest schedule, updates and announcements. Feel free to reach out to me on Twitter for an invite to our Slack group.
- You will be eligible to receive a Certificate of Completion if you complete more than 80% of the exercises. In addition, you must complete and present your final project to be eligible for the certificate. We won't use any kind of grading system and we will just mark the assignments as either complete or incomplete. We hope that all submissions of the exercises are true attempts to complete them. We will provide feedback on all submissions to help with completion when needed.
- You are free to audit the sessions as well.
Schedule and Registration
To fully register for this program:
- Ensure that you have joined our Slack group for more updates on the program. You will also find a spreadsheet there to officially enroll in the program and signup to be considered for the Certificate of Completion.
All dates below are tentative and subject to change.
|Chapter||Suggested Readings||Exercises||Live Session||Date/Time||Slides/Notebook||Recording|
|Session 1 - Introduction to Deep Learning||Find readings here||Complete the list here||Zoom (requires registration), YouTube Live||August 1, 2020, 15:00 - 17:00 CEST||YouTube|
|Session 2 - Preliminaries||Find readings here||NA||Zoom (Check Slack group for password), YouTube Live||August 15, 2020, 15:00 - 17:00 CEST||Preliminaries, Hacking Guide to Neural Networks - Draft||YouTube|
|Session 3 - Linear Neural Networks||Find suggested readings here||Assignment 2||Zoom (Check Slack group for password)||September 05, 2020, 15:00 - 17:00 CEST||Slides, Notebook||YouTube|
|Session 4 - Multilayer Perceptrons||TBA||Assignment 3||Zoom (Check Slack group for password), YouTube Live||September 12, 2020, 15:00 - 17:00 CEST||Notebook, Slides||YouTube|
|Session 5 - Deep Learning Computation||TBA||-||-||September 24, 2020, 15:00 - 17:00 CEST||Notebook||YouTube|
|Session 6 - Convolutional Neural Networks||-||TBA||Zoom - check Slack channel for password, YouTube Live||September 26, 2020, 15:00 - 17:00 CEST||Slides||YouTube|
|Session 7 - Modern Convolutional Neural Networks||-||Assignment 4||Zoom (check Slack channel for password), YouTube Live||October 3, 2020, 15:00 - 17:00 CEST||Slides||YouTube|
|Session 8 - Recurrent Neural Networks||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Session 9 - Modern Recurrent Neural Networks||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Session 10 - Attention Mechanism||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Session 11 - Optimization Algorithms||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Session 12 - Computational Performance||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Session 13 - Computer Vision||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Session 14 (Part 1) - Natural Language Processing: Pretraining||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Session 14 (Part 2) - Project Announcement||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Session 15 - Natural Language Processing: Applications||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Session 16 - Generative Adversarial Networks||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Session 17 - Recommender Systems||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Session 18 - Final Projects Presentation||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
How to Contribute
If you are interested to deliver chapters from the book, help as a TA, or deliver a special lecture, please reach out to me directly at email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I register to be considered for the certificate of completion?
A: You will need to join our Slack group and then enroll officially to be consided for the certificate of completion by adding your name to the spreadsheet shared in the #d2l-study-group channel. Look for the pinned message in the channel.
Q: How do I qualify for the certificate of completion?
A: The first step is to enroll in the program as stated above. Then you will need to complete at least 80% of the exercises assigned throughout the program. You will also need to complete the final project which will be done as a group work and presented towards the end of the program. Failure to complete at least 80% of the assignments or engaging in plagiarism will automatically disqualify from being awarded a certificate of completion.
Q: How are the assignments graded?
A: We don't pass or fail assignments. You will be given either a complete or incomplete status for each assignment. If your assignment is incomplete, we will provide you feedback and will allow you to resubmit but it has to be resubmitted in the period of 48 hours after the original deadline. If you submit the assignments after the deadline they will be labeled as incomplete and we won't provide you feedback for these cases.
Q: Can I audit the sessions of the program?
A: You are free to audit the sessions without the need to complete the exercises. All sessions will be streamed publicly on both Zoom and YouTube. Schedule information will be provided here and on our Meetup page.
Q: Where do I go for the latest information regarding the program?
A: All the latest information regarding the program such as schedule, upcoming sessions, and video recodings will be maintained in this repository. If you have any other questions, you can open an issue here or submit your questions in the Slack channel.