FontAwesome-iOS takes the amazing font awesome (see that here: FontAwesome ) and makes it a simple category to make embedding the icons simple.
Requires that you embed and use the Font Awesome font in your app.
Requires at least iOS 5/OSX 10.7 or above. Also required is: https://github.com/daltoniam/FontAwesome-iOS.
How to add a custom font to iOS app:
- Download the FontAwesome font.
- Add that font files into your project using Xcode as a resource. Make sure it is part of the "Copy Bundle Resources" in the Build Phases.
- Add a key to your Info.plist file called UIAppFonts. (Friendly name is: Fonts provided by application)
- Make sure this key an array.
- Enter the full name of your font file (including the extension) as an item to the UIAppFonts array. (Usually fontawesome-webfont.ttf)
- Save your Info.plist.
- Now in your application you can simply call [UIFont fontWithName:@"FontAwesome" size:12] to get the custom font to use with your UILabels and UITextViews, etc…
Also see this:
If you get lost.
UILabel *label = [[UILabel alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(20, 20, 100, 44)]; label.font = [UIFont fontWithName:@"FontAwesome" size:20]; label.text = [NSString awesomeIcon:FaTwitter];
The recommended approach for installing FontAwesome-iOS is via the CocoaPods package manager, as it provides flexible dependency management and dead simple installation.
Install CocoaPods if not already available:
$ [sudo] gem install cocoapods $ pod setup
Change to the directory of your Xcode project, and Create and Edit your Podfile and add FontAwesome-iOS:
$ cd /path/to/MyProject $ touch Podfile $ edit Podfile platform :ios, '5.0' # Or platform :osx, '10.7' pod 'FontAwesome-iOS'
Install into your project:
$ pod install
Open your project in Xcode from the .xcworkspace file (not the usual project file)
- The Font Awesome font is licensed under the SIL Open Font License
- Font Awesome CSS, LESS, and SASS files are licensed under the MIT License
- The Font Awesome pictograms are licensed under the CC BY 3.0 License
- Attribution is no longer required in Font Awesome 3.0, but much appreciated:
- "Font Awesome by Dave Gandy - http://fortawesome.github.com/Font-Awesome"