Programmable Touch Firefly Jar
Programmable touch firefly lamp. For use with ATtiny85 (or Arduino) based boards and Neopixel (WS2811/12/12B) RGB LEDs.
Want to make one? Full details over at Instructables.
You can order PCBs via OSHPark.
- Download Adafruit's NeoPixel library and the Capacitive Sense library
- Get the ATtiny cores for Arduino & a programmer
- Attach your LED data line to Digital Pin 4
- Attach lid/touch sensor to Digital Pins 0 & 1
- Enjoy your technicolor LED light show
- Need help getting started with ATtiny and lights? I wrote an Instructable on that too.
- If you're seeing 'R_AVR_13_PCREL' errors when you try to compile, try this thread for solutions. This is a known problem with Arduino IDE 1.0.x, ATtiny and sketches > 4k.
- Some NeoPixels are wired RGB, others GRB, or BRG. If colours are odd try changing this in the strip initialization!
- Funny error messages from your ISP programmer? See Adafruit's troubleshooting page.
- If you're running your jar on batteries and experiencing trouble with the capacitive sensor, read about grounding and other issues. This forum post may be of interest. A higher value resistor (try >= 10M Ohm) will sometimes help too!
Funkboxing for inspiring and cool LED effects and helper functions.
Instructables for featuring my project and a lovely community.
The long tradition of jar and firefly lamps in crafting and electronics.