Discover how positive, negative, or neutral top news headlines are around the world using AI.
How It Works
Curious how positive or negative the world stage is right now? Get a text analysis API to tell you!
You can view the positivity/negativity of individual top news articles. You also get a running average of positivity/negativity as more articles appear, giving you a (slight) peek into the current zeitgeist of the moment.
There's more too: you can target specific topics and countries. Curious about the current attitude of Canadian articles on "Trump"? What about the U.K. on "The Avengers"? You can do that too.
- Only includes English articles
- Only includes top news articles
- Only analyzes headlines, not actual article contents
- Only provides 20 articles per query
Based on your filters, a GET request is made to News API, returning top headlines from news articles around the world. These headlines are passed through the Aylien Text Analysis API, which returns a polarity measurement of the text, and all this data is presented on the page in a slow drip.
What's a polarity measurement? Basically, it's a measurement of how positive, negative, or neutral the headline sounds.
Given everything available in both APIs, here's a few features worth logging here for possible future development:
- Analyze article contents, not just headlines (may require a web scraper)
- Add support for multiple languages (specifically ones that both News API and Aylien support)
- Increase number of articles per query (maybe 100?)
- Open up analysis to news articles from smaller news outlets