- Website: http://danieldickison.com/wifly/
This is an X-Plane plugin and an iPhone app that lets you use the iPhone as a remote control yoke/joystick for X-Plane.
The X-Plane plugin acts as a server, to which the iPhone app sends commands. This is currently implemented simply as a UDP socket with no verification or connection acknowledgement.
Please note that the iPhone app (in the ios-app directory) and the X-Plane plugin are under two different open-source licenses.
The iPhone app is licensed under the MIT license. See the file
ios-app/License.txt for the full license.
The X-Plane plugin is licensed under the GPL. See the file
xplane-plugin/GPL.txt for the full license.
The X-Plane plugin also includes 3rd party code under separate licenses:
- bsd-strlcat.c copyright 1998 Todd C. Miller. See that file for license info.
- Code from WidgetLibraryExample copyright 2005 Sandy Barbour and Ben Supnik. See the file 'Third Party/license.txt' for license info. This library is currently available online at http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/mediawiki/XPWidgetsLibEx
- Center and bounds ideas:
- Two-finger drag for additional axes, e.g. 3-D cockpit panning.
- Double-tap to re-center, or for tilt, set tilt center.
- Double-tap to set current value as the tilt center?
- Change color/sound to alert when tilt exceeds tracking bounds.
- Auditory feedback of tap-drag for better blind interaction.
- Eye candy: background images, pulsating trackpad dot...etc.
- Landscape mode with multiple trackpads or buttons -- maybe something like the AR Drone Free Flight app.
- Make server update on every flight loop instead of a fixed rate (20Hz)?
- Auto-coordinate roll+yaw should move nosewheel steering more.
- Send instrument readings back to iPhone for display?