Be notified of new releases
Create your free GitHub account today to subscribe to this repository for new releases and build software alongside 28 million developers.Sign up
This release includes the following fixes and new features:
- Support for GNU Parallel as an alternative to Ladon.
- Fixes to the PPM parser; PPMs generated by libvips are now parsed gracefully.
- The minimum quality is ensured to always be smaller than maximum quality.
- Various internal changes to make the jpeg-archive utilities more robust.
- Several fixes to the Makefile, as well as FreeBSD support.
This release fixes an issue on Windows and adds a quiet mode.
- Fix input/output using stdin/stdout on Windows by setting the stream to binary mode.
- Add a
--quietoption to turn off non-error output.
This release adds the ability to disable subsampling and updates the underlying mozjpeg library.
- Add the
--subsampleparameter which can be used with the value
disableto turn off subsampling. By default 4:2:0 mode is used (which subsamples chroma channels 2x1). Disabling it turns on 4:4:4 mode which may be desired for certain use-cases but is generally not required.
- Update to the official mozjpeg 3.0 release. This provides an extra 1-2% compression advantage at the same encoding quality and speed.
- Set up Windows CI so that Windows users can always grab the latest binary from the Windows CI build server
This patch release updates to upstream releases, introduces some speed improvements and contains a handful of minor fixes to tests and documentation.
- Update to latest mozjpeg
- Speed up
make installnow installs
- Run real-world file tests by default
- Fix several compiler warnings
This release changes the underlying JPEG encoding library to mozjpeg and defaults to progressive encoding. On average, the output of
jpeg-recompress is now around 5-10% smaller, but the exact amount will vary based on input images. Also included are new metrics and input options.
jpeg-archivebash script to help automate archiving images
- Switch to mozjpeg
- Output is now progressive by default
- Add SmallFry metric (similar to JPEGMini)
- Add MPE (mean pixel error) metric (similar to imgmin)
- By default, copy files that will not be compressed (disable with
- Add support for PPM input in
jpeg-compareto compare PPM with JPEG
- Documentation updates
Fixed a bug related to reading from STDIN and added the ability to send PPM image data (instead of JPEG input) to
jpeg-recompress using the
--ppm option. This makes
jpeg-recompress a replacement for
cjpeg for creating JPEG files at a certain perceived quality. Example using ImageMagick's
$ convert myinput.tiff ppm:- | jpeg-recompress --ppm - output.jpg
Fixes a bug related to grayscale image conversion used during SSIM calculations.