It's a Twitter bot that tweets out random Japanese words - with definitions - once an hour. It also attempts to define people's words (Japanese or English) that they Tweet in. Usage example sentences are occasionally Tweeted.
英語定義が欲しい場合は「@japxlate 日本語単語」をツイートしてください。リプライで教えます。Japxlate は日本語母語話者用にも便利！
- Finally comes with a script to process the EDICT dictionary file (EDICT2)
- Updated INSTALL instructions
- Full docblock comments for all PHP classes, methods and functions
- Restructured class internals
- Updated for Twitter API v1.1
- Improved logging
The EDICT dictionary project (http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi) is used for the random words and to define people's words. The Tatoeba project (http://tatoeba.org) is used for usage example sentences. Abraham Williams' TwitterOAuth class (https://github.com/abraham/twitteroauth) is used to connect to Twitter.
- Commandline PHP
- mbstring extension for PHP
- JSON extension for PHP
- mysqli extension for PHP (but should be easy to alter everything for another MySQL extension or indeed another RDBMS)
- MySQL (with Unicode ability)
- The EDICT2 dictionary file
- Some CSV files from Tatoeba.org
- You'll need a Twitter account and then a "My application" (so you can get some OAuth access tokens etc). You'll want "Read, Write and Access direct messages" permission.
- Source dictionary (EDICT) is of top quality
- Interactive - Twitter users can use the bot as a word defining service
- Bot owner can seed the next random word by using a to-self direct message
- Easily modified for any other source dictionary
- Usage example sentences should match the previous random word, but sometimes don't
- Direct message seeding can be iffy - I don't think Twitter likes it when users DM themselves!
- Lacks any kind of "cashing in" mechanism for current trending hashtags (ie. defining the current trend words but in Japanese would be nifty)
- As a timed robot it's pretty cheesy because all it does is call sleep() LOL!
- Obviously you've got all your DB and Twitter credentials in plaintext in the configuration.php
- Defining people's words needs to be less strict and "hit" the dictionary more
- Definition formatting logic is duplicated in MANY places in the code - must consolidate