This is a simple project that started because I was going on a trip and wanted to turn some full blogs into books on my kindle. Take your blogs on the go, or just enjoy reading on a kindle screen more than a computer screen this project can help.
- Currently supports only Kindle
- RSS feed to kindle
- Single post to kindle (useful because some https sites no longer allow bookmarklets to work)
- PDF files, given PDF url it will email it to your kindle
- Copied Text to kindle
- git repos specifically formatted to be converted to a ebook
To see a a brief overview of the project see my post Introducing Blog2Ebook
CI Build Status
This project runs travis-ci.org
To Run Locally
To Run locally Configure your environment
#(on time setup in ~/.profile or equivalent) #available free at mail gun MAILGUN_API_KEY=XXX_get_your_own_token #available free at readability export READ_API_TOKEN=XXX_get_your_own_token export PORT=3000
Then start the app
foreman start open http://localhost:3000 #old way bundle exec rackup -p 3000 redis-server open http://localhost:3000
open "http://localhost:3000/?url=http://mayerdan.com/atom.xml" open "http://localhost:3000/kindleizeblog?url=http://mayerdan.com/atom.xml&email=YOUREMAIL@gmail.com" open "http://localhost:3000/kindleizeblog?url=http://erinashleymiller.com/feed/&email=YOUREMAIL@gmail.com" open "http://localhost:3000/kindleizeblog?url=http://codeascraft.com/feed/&email=YOUREMAIL@gmail.com" open "http://localhost:3000/kindleizeblog?url=http://techblog.netflix.com/rss.xml&email=YOUREMAIL@gmail.com"
Useful related links
- This project seems very similar to the now defunct readbeam project.
- read beam is now open source readbeam source
- HTML Elements for Kindle Ebooks
- How to Make an Amazon Kindle Book using HTML and CSS
- formatting images in kindle boos
- software for publishing
- publish to amazon's platform
- RSS feed parsing useful for converting
- How to turn your blog into a book
- pandoc to epub
pandoc mybook.txt -o mybook.epubfrom https://github.com/vienna-rb/slides/blob/master/13-06-06/markdown.md
- lots of book conversion and writing examples from progit open source git book
Other similar projects
- leanpub offers easy self publishing
- blog2book pothi app
- ruby bookshop
- Graphically great tool for self publishing image heavy books
- 'http://codeascraft.com/feed/' doesn't include full article text, possibly gather some from feed them hit article URL for full article content
- Crashes on single article 'http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/06/10/going-to-college-is-worth-it-even-if-you-drop-out/'
- Stripe purchase integration
- Support multiple book formats possibly using Calibre for converting
- Support file upload to package up and publish book to amazon, or at least allow authors to preview on kindle. This would be work to support / Steve / Erin guides.
- add support for http://foliotek.github.io/DocEditable/ to edit a book on site.
- Add mobile file send straight to kindle feature
- Fork it.
- Create a branch (git checkout -b my_markup)
- Commit your changes (git commit -am "Added something awesome, it does X which solves problem Y")
- Push to the branch (git push origin my_markup)
- If you haven't already read about good Pull Request practices or have never submitted one before read about submitting your first pull request
- Open a Pull Request
- Awesome thanks I will try to get back to you soon.
See the file license.txt for copying permission.