A Decentralized, Collaborative, Blockchain-Enabled, Modular App Platform To Unleash the P2P “Internet of People” Economy
Welcome to Fermat!
In the last 20 years virtually everything went digital: pictures, music, videos, mails, etc. Nevertheless we still have cash as paper money.
Why isn't cash money digital yet?
The reason is that digital information can be cloned, and if digital cash could be cloned it would render it useless. When bitcoin was invented it brought with it the solution to the last barrier preventing money from going digital: the solution to the double spend problem.
We firmly believe that the next decade will witness governments issuing digital currency based on blockchain technology. We expect paper money is going to disappear within the next 5 to 10 years. Thus a strong consumer demand for digital wallets will inevitably emerge.
Wallets that will evolve into sophisticated financial applications to serve the diverse needs of the world's population. To faciliate this Fermat provides APPs with the ability to easily handle digital cash and digital assets.
The Master Plan
Fermat is a master plan to avoid getting into that future by waiting for independent entrepreneurs to build each of these APPSs one at the time and from scratch, repeating every time all the math, accounting, cryptography and algorithms that are common to all these APPs. Fermat handles all that and by doing the heavy lifting enables any developer in the world to easily create white label blockchain-enabled APPs on top of its shared infrastructure.
Fermat offers a new approach, allowing us to achieve large-scale and systematic cooperation in an entirely distributed and decentralized manner. Our goal is to move from competition to collaboration by creating the infraestructure needed to decentralize not only software development, but also analysis and design, and adding new layers on top, also to enable a true P2P economy where third parties are optional. This will evolve the actual web of servers into an Internet of People.
The Fermat System has three major architectural pillars:
- The P2P Network: a peer-to-peer infrastructure that allows data flows between Fermat apps without going through central servers
- The Component Framework: the technology that runs the collection of reusable atomic components that can be added to or drawn upon for use in Fermat-powered applications (apps)
- The Ecosystem of Fermat Apps: where end users interact with each other. Fermat apps are white label P2P apps that allow customization, and are made up of dozens of components.
The Fermat system runs on end users devices, wherever it is needed: phones, tablets, laptops, PCs and even web servers. One of the design requirements was to create a censorship resistant system. Since these devices need to communicate with each other in order to exchange information, the need arose for a reliable, compatible p2p network to enable this communication without going through third parties. If device-to-device communications were to go through centralized service providers, then the system would not be secure and autonomous. This system requires specialized nodes.
Fermats handles p2p transactions in an unique way, splitting the transport of information from the transport of value. In every transaction Fermat features a peer-to-peer network for transporting metadata and interconnect network clients between each other. Existing cryptocurrency networks are used by Fermat to transport the value component.
On top of that network a synchronization scheme transforms a standalone app into a distributed application across several devices still owned by the same user.
Fermat’s Framework sits on top of the device’s OS and extends it in order to support Fermat apps, which run on top of the Framework. Each of these apps are in fact a set of interconnected, reusable atomic components, one or more being the user interface. The Fermat system is downloaded as a whole, but each Fermat App is activated when the end user performs the usual act of "installing" them. What happens really is that underneath the skin are a set of app components interacting with each other – a few may have been built for specific Fermat apps, while the rest are part of a pool of reusable components, and coordinated they offer the desired functionality. The pool of reusable components expands each time a new Fermat app is added to the system.
To allow people with no developing knowledge to build their own desktop and mobile peer-to-peer financial applications in a similar way a non-developer builds a Wordpress site: reusing Plug-ins and themes.
To act as a local back-end not only for native-Fermat-APPs and wallets, but also for any other mobile app.
To be a full-stack Framework (an extension of actual OS) in the development of P2P block-chain enabled APPS making them unbannable, reliable and not easy to hack as they are fully decentralized.
The challenge is truly colossal, but we know that the difference between the possible and impossible lies in a team's determination. We have the will to transcend and to spread our vision for this world.
We have the talent, motivation and determination required to create the next generation of financial applications. These will allow people to manage their own digital wallets in a secure way enabling them to interact using their funds in a wide array of transactions and business oriented opportunities across the globe.
We believe the open source community collectively has more influence than any of us individually. Therefore for us it is important to acknowledge and revere services where others invested their time and efforts in order to build. We believe in decentralization.
We are asking each of you to help lead the way. Because we’re already connected with you as we are also developers and designers, and we want to build our relationship with you into a network of developers across the world to share new ideas and forge new collaborations. Working together, we can build the tools and technology that people need to become financially independent, have access from any country to financial products and be safe of nasty third parties spying on them or trying to tell them what they can and can not do with their money. We believe in true financial freedom.
We want to hear from you on how we can build this network. We are already dozens of developers / designers / academics / entrepreneurs collaborating full and part time on Fermat, and every day a new members coming on board. To learn more about how to join, just read the how-to-participate-guide. We hope at every single one of you will join us. Because Fermat and the world need you. We need your skills, imagination and optimism. And with this new network, we're sure we can be partners for decades to come.
We believe in people with passion who are crazy enough to think they can change the world. With a lot of hard work, we believe we can accomplish this.
We won't stop until we do it.
## The Challenge
While designing Fermat we tried to find the answer to the following questions:
- How can we build a P2P network to interconnect all devices between each other in a scalable way?
- How do we get sure the communication is secure?
- How do we build a Plug-ins Framework able to run on smart phones?
- How do we make as much of the code portable to other every OS?
- How do we enable thousands of developers to collaborate?
- How do me make the framework multi-wallet or multi-app?
- How do we let the End User to install more wallets within the same APP and in a P2P way?
- How do we organize Plug-in in order to be reusable by other Plugin?
- How do we prevent a bad Plug-in from stealing the digital funds stored on other Plug-ins?
- How do we make sure information keeps a consistent state even if a phone turns itself off at any time?
- How can we manage multiple identities used by the End User on different wallets / APPs?
- How can we isolate ordinary people from the perceived complexity of crypto currencies?
- How do we integrate merchants, retailers and brands of all sizes in a clever way?
- How can we allow non-developers to create digital wallets without programming anything at all?
- How can we create a fair systems with the developers who contribute to the project?
- How can we use the collective intelligence of the developer community?
- How can we reuse the entire current infrastructure already in place?
The answers to each of these questions are addressed within Fermat.
## What is Fermat?
Fermat is a system where we experiment on what needs to be done for the masses to adopt crypto currencies. As it is very easy to develop mobile APPs on Fermat, entrepreneurs can use it to easily test their business models.
Technically Fermat is an open-source P2P system built on a Plug-in architecture that handles a stack of platforms and runs on multiple OS including Android, Linux, iOS, OSX and Windows.
What makes Fermat different from other wallet systems or services?
Fermat is P2P. This makes it censorship resistant and difficult to hack.
Fermat is built with Plug-ins. This enables it to be reused and for any developer to engage.
Fermat runs on end users' devices. This enables users to manage their own money eliminating the need to trust a third party.
Fermat is inclusive. By creating their own Plug-ins, current industry members can integrate with Fermat to offer their services and products to Fermat's already user base.
Fermat segments the world population and offers a custom tailored solution for each segment. Any developer can easily create niche wallets for a particular group of people, for example Brands creating their own wallets for their customers. All the heavy lifting is done by the Fermat underlaying technology.
Fermat guarantees Plug-ins and wallet developers a revenue stream. Fermat implements an innovative business model which allows plugins and wallet developers to define a use license, and Fermat itself enforces this license on behalf of developers.
Fermat is moving towards version 1, but we're not stopping there. We have many feature ideas on our white paper that we're anxious to add. So take Fermat out for a spin and let us know how we can make it your favorite platform to launch your own digital wallet or financial APP.
You can learn more about the project and see the latest information at the official site Fermat.org.
### Fermat's Purpose
To Empower people with the appropriate tools to save and move their money as a digital format in a more efficient, secure and private way.
To give back the sovereignty over each one's own resources, respecting the freedom of choice about which currency to use and how to administrate it, regardless of the place they live or where they were born.
### Fermat's Mission
To get crypto currencies mass adopted as soon as possible.
To build the best possible system able to manage the finances of people.
To achieve “parity” with the state-of-the-art technology and push towards new frontiers in computer science.
### Fermat Principles
1. Fermat must not allow censorship.
- Open Source.
- P2P architecture.
2. Fermat must not allow spying on their user base.
- Point to point encrypted communications.
- Geofenced P2P network enabling the shortest communication path between peers.
- Multi-technology communication layer (cloud, p2p, wifi, bluetooth, nfc, mesh, etc.).
3. Fermat must be secure and resistant to all kind of attacks.
- No centralized point to be attacked.
- Multiple identities and roles per user.
- Device Private Network (DPN) concept.
- Pocket Money concept and a Multi-Signature Vault owned by the DPN.
- Reviews and Reputation concepts.
4. Fermat must never loose a user's funds.
- Transaction responsability transmission protocols.
- Remote technical support by wallet and Plug-ins developers.
5. Fermat must be useful to each segment of the world population.
- Niche wallets concept.
- Branded wallets concept.
6. Fermat must be extensible and open to innovation.
- Plug-ins architecture.
- Multi dimensional layer architecture.
7. Fermat must be open and inclusive.
- Any developer can contribute to the shared infraestructure.
- Any developer can write code for new Plug-ins.
- Any developer can write code for new niche wallets.
- Any developer can fork an existing niche wallet to further specialize it.
- Any graphic / UX designer could provide skins to existing wallets.
- Anyone could provide language packs to existing wallets.
8. Each developer must be compensated for their contribution to Fermat.
- Micro license concept.
- Micro license structure concept.
- Fermat automatically enforcing license agreements.
- Plug-in ownership concept.
- Niche wallet ownership concept.
- Branded wallet onwnership concept.
- Master plan design concept, wiht no overlaping functionality but shared ownership.
9. Fermat user base must be a shared asset.
- Any developer must be able to profit from the growing Fermat user base by writing Plugins this user base could consume via the developers of the wallets they are using.
10. Fermat must be inclusive with crypto currency industry members.
- Any bitcoin | crypto | blockchain established startup could write their own Plug-ins and expose their services to both Fermat developers and the Fermat user base.
- Any alt-coin community could write Plug-ins to enable their crypto currency within the Fermat wallet ecosystem.
11. Fermat must be inclusive with the current financial system.
- Banks and financial institutions could write Plug-ins to enable Fermat wallets to hold funds in banks and other financial institutions.
- Fermat allows its users to move money both from public value transport networks as well as crypto currency networks and also through private or legal financial networks.
12. Fermat must be unbanked-people friendly.
- Multiple logins per device (Device user concept)
- Crypto banking concept.
13. Fermat must be OS agnostic.
- OSA layer concept (Operative System API).
- OS dependent UI on top of Fermat concept.
14. Fermat must learn from its user base.
- Integrated feedback functionality.
- Voting over feature wish-lists concept.
15. Fermat must be the financially most efficient way to move or spend the end user's money.
- Crypto Vault for multiple wallets concept.
- Financial AI Agents concept.
16. Fermat must facilitate the regional distribution and access to crypto currencies.
- Crypto Distribution Network concept.
- Crypto Brokers concept.
## How to Install and Run Fermat
Installers for the latest version of Android can be downloaded here. Mac, Windows and Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) will be supported in the near future.
In addition to the core features built into Fermat, there is a growing community of developers building Plug-ins and Niche Wallets that add all sorts of useful functionality.
For instructions on how to install and run the source code, see the Installation Guide.
Having problems compiling or running Fermat the first time, or not sure how to use Fermat? Please contact any of our developers teams at Dev Teams
Take a look at the Fermat Book that it is being written in order to help developers learn more about Fermat technology.
As of March 2016 the project status is the following:
Code state : Under development for 10 months. No releases yet. Alpha version available at [fermat.org]. Fermat Dev Teams is a network of developers teams actively working on the project. Dev Teams
Future path of development : Active (First release with very limited features scheduled for April 2016).
## I Want to Join the Team!
There are lots of ways you can help.
If you are a developer and want to contribute either from a bug-fix up to building a whole financial APP on top of Fermat, please read the Contributing Guide, then learn how to pull the repo and hack on Fermat. Or you can also find us on Facebook.
You don't need to be a developer to participate on the project. There are many ways to do it and we explain each one of them at the How to Participate Guide.