What is the Entity Component System?
Clone this wiki locally
Entity-component-system (ECS) is a software architecture pattern that separates the functionality into individual components that are mostly independent of one another. Composition is used instead of inheritance. The entity is a general purpose object. Usually, it only consists of a unique id and a container. The component consists of a minimal set of data needed for a specific purpose. Systems are single purpose functions that take a set of entities which have a specific component (or set of components) and update them. from Wikipedia
- What is an entity framework? by Richard Lord / in russian
- Why user an entity framework? by Richard Lord
- Evolve Your Hierarchy by Mick West.
- Anatomy of a knockout by Chris Granger.
- Stackoverflow: Component based game engine design
- Entity/Component Game Design: A Primer
- Game entity management system – part 2 by Philip Fortier
- Lostcast 27: Entity/Component Proponents;
- How Does an Entity System Work? on Haxe by Alec McEachran.
- Allods in Russian Модульный объект: как это работает в «Аллодах Онлайн».
- Games And Entity Systems by Shaun Smith darscan
- Case Study: Bomberman Mechanics in an Entity-Component-System by Philip Fortier