Opinions: A Distributed Network of Metrics
Specification [in progress]
An opinion is a small data structure suitable for the capture and decentralized exchange of data like:
- Facebook-style "likes" for a topic, statement, business, or URL,
- Reddit-style "upvotes" on a news articles and other URLs,
- Netflix-style "star" ratings for movies,
- Amazon-style "star" ratings for books and other products,
- OKCupid-style Likert-scale survey responses,
- Yelp-style restaurant reviews,
- Agreement with various political positions,
- PGP-style levels of trust in various cryptographic keys,
The data is captured in such a way that it is difficult to forge, easy for end-users to extend to suit their own purposes, and may be easily processed by recommendation engines.
This is a project toward the development of:
- an open specification for Opinions and their exchange, and
- a software reference implementation which conforms to that specification
This repository was created 2011-09-17. The earliest timestamp I can find in my notes for this idea is 2011-09-12.
I worked briefly in January 2012 on a private fork of this project as part of an employer's self-directed research program. I am no longer their employee. To avoid legal issues, no part of that fork is incorporated in this repository.
All documentation herein is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
All source code for software herein is licensed under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License, version 3 or later.