This is the main repository for a collaborative text on data journalism. The goal is to put, in one place, some key modules that could make up a full semester of beginner level data journalism.
Every school and instructor has different goals and requirements for their data journalism work. Some just need a couple of weeks worth of Excel training, while others focus the semester on learning to analyze data using R. Some require students have laptops, others can't require specific software, operating systems or capabilities.
This project isn't meant to supplant other sources, or to incorporate others' work. All of the material in this repo is either used with permission of the author or was created by the author listed on the document.
We welcome pull requests, issues and other contributions. We expect this will be a work in progress, well, forever.
- Sarah Cohen @sarahcnyt
- Aron Pilhofer @pilhofer
- Matt Waite @mattwaite
Most modules contain recommendations for reading, other textbooks and resources, but this list contains some of the more comprehensive teaching materials created in recent years.
- Computer-Assisted Reporting: A Practical Guide, by Brant Houston
- Investigative Reporters and Editors' course packs
- The Data Journalism Handbook
- All of the materials collected and used in the 2018 Computer-Assisted Reporting Conference, from IRE. (members-only resource)
- IRE's NICAR-Learn, a collection of short videos on specific skills (subscription required)
- The Journalists' Resource's suggested syllabus for data journalism
- Data Literacy: A User's Guide, by David Herzog
Other journalism instructors have made their materials open to the public and encourage their use:
- Peter Aldhous's 4-week data journalism course at Berkeley and Policy and Investigative Reporting at UC Santa Cruz, which focuses on data journalism for science reporting.
- Sarah Cohen's Data Reporting repo
- Dan Nguyen's course materials for Public Affairs Data Journalism and tutorials from his courses at Stanford University. (Dan also has a repo of data journalism syllabi that is much more extensive than this list)
- Matt Waite's Data Journalism repo
- Mary Jo Webster's training resources
- Derek Willis' repos Systems ofr Reporting and Data Reporting