This repository contains outlines for analytics courses taught under contract with the New York City Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS) to New York City employees.
Courses run either all day (7 hours with a 1 hour lunch break) or half day (3 hours). Every class is run with 50 minute blocks of interactive lecture, discussion, and exercises, with a 10 minute break, except the half-day course, which runs in two blocks, with a 10 minute break between. This helps keep the class dynamic and allows the students time to absorb the material.
The courses are:
- Introduction to Open Data
- Data Analytics for Managers
- Excel Tools: Summarizing Data
- Introduction to Statistical Analysis
- Introduction to Open-Source Mapping with QGIS
For insight into my approach to teaching, see my blogposts:
For blogposts on these classes in particular, see these posts:
- Teaching Analytics to City Employees: An Introduction
- Teaching Analytics to City Employees: Why Teach Analytics?
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.