Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
This is how you can install Datawrapper on your own server. Please also see these alternative setup instructions
- Apache or nginx
- PHP > 7
Note that Datawrapper is designed to run on its own domain, so running it inside a sub-directory (e.g.
http://localhost/datawrapper) won't work.
- Clone the Datawrapper repository to your server or download and unpack the repository as ZIP file.
- If Composer is not installed on your server, download and install it into the Datawrapper directory using
curl -sS https://getcomposer.org/installer | php.
php composer.phar installand
gruntto download third-party libraries used by Datawrapper.
- Configure a new domain for your Datawrapper instance, for instance by adding a virtual host in your Apache config (e.g. http://datawrapper.local). The domain must point to
/wwwin the Datawrapper repository. Make sure to also add the new domain to your hosts file.
- Configure a second virtual host for the Datawrapper charts, which are designed to be hosted separately from Datawrapper. You can setup the hostname http://chart.datawrapper.local and point it to
/charts/static. Later you can reach your local charts at http://chart.datawrapper.local/chart_id/.
- Create the configuration file by copying config.yaml.template to config.yaml, edit the file, and change domain and chart_domain and the email addresses.
- Make sure the web server process has write access to the following directories:
- Create a new MySQL database. Initialize the table schema using /lib/core/build/sql/schema.sql.
- Copy lib/core/build/conf/datawrapper-conf.php.master to lib/core/build/conf/datawrapper-conf.php and update your database settings (dbname, user, password) according to your server configuration.
- Install the core plugins by running
php scripts/plugin.php install "*".
- Open the Datawrapper domain in a web browser. You should now see something like "You have successfully installed Datawrapper.".