from the cstyle tool used to check for the style used in the Solaris kernel,
sometimes known as "Bill Joy Normal Form". This tool is a little bit
configurable. However it strives to enforces a single coding style based on
that cstyle. See "Configuration Options" below.
The original cstyle tool can be found here: http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/tools/scripts/cstyle.pl
The document describing C Style is available here: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~lee/06cse480/data/cstyle.ms.pdf
Examples of conditions checked by this tool include:
- Strings must be quoted with single quotes.
- Blocks must be indented with tabs, not spaces.
- Continuation lines must be indented with 4 spaces.
- Keywords (for, if, function, etc.) must be followed with a space.
- One line cannot contain multiple keywords.
- Relational operators must be surrounded with spaces.
- There must be no spaces between tabs, nor tabs between spaces.
- Lines must not end with whitespace.
- Multi-line block comments must start and end with a blank line.
- Return expressions must be parenthesized.
No known bugs. No new features planned.
jsstyle [OPTIONS] file1.js [file2.js ...]
Configuration options may be specified in a file (one option per line) with the "-f PATH" switch, or on the command line with the "-o OPTION1,OPTION2" switch.
As stated about,
jsstyle is opinionated and intends to stay that way.
That said, this author was arm twisted under duress to allow the following
doxygen Allow doxygen-style block comments `/** /*!`. splint Allow splint-style lint comments `/*@ ... @*/`. This is legacy. Does anyone use this? indent=<NUM|tab> An integer number of spaces for indentation, or 'tab' for tab indentation (the default). literal-string-quote 'single' (the default) or 'double'. Specifies the preferred quote character for literal strings. unparenthesized-return Boolean option, set to 0 to disable the "unparenthesized return expression" check. blank-after-start-comment Boolean option, set to 0 to disable the "missing blank after start comment" check.
When you want
jsstyle to ignore a line, you can use this:
/* JSSTYLED */ ignore = this + line;
Or for a block:
/* BEGIN JSSTYLED */ var here , be , some = funky , style /* END JSSTYLED */