Makes one 9 inch pastry shell
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- grated zest of 1 lemon, blanched and refreshed
- 1/4 c confectioner's sugar
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 c plus 1 Tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 350. Butter 9" fluted tart pan with a removable bottom
- In a medium bowl w/ a wooden spoon, stir together the melted butter, vanilla, almond extract, lemon zest, confectioner's sugar and salt. Gradually stir in the flour to form a smooth, soft dough. Place the dough in the center of the prepared pan. using the tips of your fingers, evenly pres the dough along the bottom and up the sides of the pan. It will be quite thin.
- Bake the shell in the center of the oven for 12-15 minutes, or untl the dough is firm and lightly browned. Let cool completely before filling. Do not remove from the pan before the tart is filled and set.
Note: only use nonreactive utensils & bolws.
- 1 tart shell (see above)
- 7 large egg yolks, plus 2 large eggs
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2/3 cup juice from 4-5 medium lemons, plus 1/4 cup finely grated zest
- pinch salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- adjust oven rack to upper-middle position [I never do that] and heat to 375. Place tart pan with shell on cookie sheet
- In medium nonreactive bowl, whisk together yolks and whole eggs until combined, about 5 seconds. Add sugar and whisk until just combined, about 5 seconds. Add lemon juice, zest, and salt; whisk until combined, about 5 seconds. Transfer mixture to medium nonreactive saucepan, add butter pieces, and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until curd thickens to thin saucelike constitency and registers 170 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes. Immediately pour curd through single-mesh stainless steel strainer set over clean nonreactive bowl. Stir in heavy cream; pour curd into warm tart shell immediately.
- Bake until filling is shiny and opaque and until the center 3 inches jiggle slightly when shaken, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 45 minutes. Remove outer metal ring, slide thin metal spatula between bottom crust and tart pan bottom to release, then slip tart onto cardboard round or serving plate.