CollisionViz is a data visualization web app for motor vehicle collisions in New York City. It is built with
How to Use
- Select the date. The app will load all the collisions on that day from NYPD API, and show a time distribution chart and a heatmap.
- The app also shows markers for collisions that happened during 8AM-9AM. Click on the chart to change the hour. Click on a marker for collision details.
How to Develop
npm install: installs node_modules and also builds development version of
main.css, which can also be generated with
npx sass src/scss/main.scss main.css
NODE_ENV=production npx webpack: builds production / minified version of
npm start: webpack watches jsx file changes
index.htmlin browser to see the app.
npm audit fixto fix security issues in node modules.
- 8/2/2020: updated dependencies
- 3/16/2020: major update
- adaptors for third party APIs
- reorganize files and directories
- Remove - less is more
- play/pause mechanism
- custom crash icons
- map layers
- get date and time from URL query params
- use GitHub Actions to run
npm startwhenever master branch is updated, so that
bundle.jsdoes not have to be in this repo.