A collection of icons in the public domain. See all the icons at the project's website.
This project, including the website, are released into the public domain.
- Design the icons to be paired with a heavy sans-serif typeface. Eventually I want to produce the icon set in other weights
- The icons should be blocked
- Avoid outlines and thin lines
- Ensure the new icon matches the existing icons. Imagine the icon set as if it were a typeface.
- Icons should be readable at 16x16
- Make its shapes as simple as neccessary
- Try and ensure the icons have an even weight
- Prefer hard corners to soft
- Prioritize icon comprehension over beauty
- Don't put text in the icon
- Don't incorporate anything not in the public domain into your icon
- Outline all strokes before submitting
- Ensure all icons are properly transparent. Fill:white is not transparent
- By convention make icon artboards 120x120
- Center icons inside artboard
Building the site locally
To set up the site locally run
npm install then
node build.js then serve the contents of
python -m SimpleHTTPServer.
use some css to make it easy to set numbers inside shapes like this: http://typographica.org/typeface-reviews/ceremony/
- user silhouette
- player controls
- paper clip
- coat hanger
Public domain sources
NOT Public domain
http://www.flaticon.com/ http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/ https://useiconic.com/open#icons http://pictos.cc/classic/one/ https://icomoon.io/app/#/select https://dribbble.com/shots/879287-Beer-Icons?list=searches&tag=noun_project&offset=18 http://glyphicons.com/