This repository contains a design for an IV-11 based Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) display unit.
Key points of the design:
- Support for 8 tubes (can install only 6 if you want the traditional 2-2-2 clock display)
- Can daisy chain boards to make longer displays
- Wifi capable (MQTT etc? - firmware doesn't yet enable this)
- Runs off a 5V 2A supply (USB B socket)
- Four buttons for setting time/other functions
Parts count/prices kept down by using 'generic' ebay modules to provide:
- DS3231 Real Time Clock (battery backed)
- Boost converter module to provide the ~25VDC to power the VFD
- Buck converter module to provide 1.5v to heat the cathodes
- Wemos D1 Mini board to provide the brains
- 5mm encapsulated addressable RGB LEDs to provide the colour effects.
Please see the project wiki for more details.