© David Pablo Cohn - firstname.lastname@example.org
The Open Research Vessel Data Acquisition System (OpenRVDAS) is a software framework used for building custom data acquisition systems (DAS). OpenRVDAS target audiences are oceanographic research vessel operators and operators of other science-related platforms that have the need to record streaming data. OpenRVDAS is capable of reading data records from serial ports and network-aware sensors, optionally modifying those data records and streaming either the result to one or more destinations, including logfiles, network ports, databases, etc.
OpenRVDAS is designed to be modular and extensible, relying on simple composition of Readers, Transforms and Writers to achieve the needed datalogging functionality.
The project code repository is at https://github.com/davidpablocohn/openrvdas.
Other relevant documents are:
- The Listener Script - listen.py - how to use OpenRVDAS's core utility script
- Configuration Files - how to define configuration files to simplify running loggers with listen.py
- OpenRVDAS Components - what components exist and what they do
- Simulating Serial Input - using the simulate_serial.py script to create virtual serial ports for development and testing
- OpenRVDAS Django Web User Interface - an introduction to the web-based GUI
- Data Display Widgets - an introduction to widgets for data display
- Parsing - how to work with the included RecordParser to turn raw text records into structured data fields
A very rudimentary project website is available at OpenRVDAS.org
DISCLAIMER: THIS CODE IS EXPERIMENTAL AND STILL IN THE EARLY STAGES OF DEVELOPMENT. IT SHOULD UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES BE RELIED ON, ESPECIALLY NOT IN ANY APPLICATION WHERE ITS FAILURE COULD RESULT IN INJURY, LOSS OF LIFE, PROPERTY, SANITY OR CREDIBILITY AMONG YOUR PEERS WHO WILL TELL YOU THAT YOU REALLY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.