A basic (but evolving) virtual planetarium app for Samsung Gear VR!
- All stars in the night sky brighter than magnitude 4.5.
- Constellations with name labels.
- Textured and correctly-positioned planets (with exaggerated size for easier selection).
- Small selection of Messier objects.
- Hover over an object to see its name.
- Tap on the VR trackpad when hovering over an object to see a detailed description from Wikipedia. (Press the Back button or tap in empty space to dismiss the description)
- Scroll horizontally on the VR trackpad to shift field of view.
- Milky Way background
- Proper lighting from the Sun, to create correct phases of Moon and planets.
- Rings on Neptune.
- Moons of other planets.
- Tilt of other planets.
- More Messier objects.
Building for your device
You must clone the GearVRf repository as a sister directory of this repo. You must similarly clone the GearVRf-Demos repo as a sister directory of this repo, since this project references a "common" gradle file found in the demo repo.
Download the Oculus Mobile SDK and extract it as a subdirectory of the GearVRf repo. If you need to rebuild GearVRf, you may need to modify
GearVRf/GVRf/Framework/gradle.properties and add the correct path to the Oculus SDK.
To run the app on your device, you'll need to generate an Oculus Signature File for the device, and put the file in the
You may then build and run the app in the usual way. The app has been tested on the Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S6, and Galaxy S7.
This project uses Wikimedia's RESTBase API for retrieving article content: http://rest.wikimedia.org/en.wikipedia.org/v1/?doc
This project uses the AstroLib library (http://mhuss.com/AstroLib/) for calculating planet positions.
Copyright (c) 2015-2017 Dmitry Brant Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.