Install and use Minio on DC/OS
Minio is an object storage server released under Apache License v2.0. It is compatible with Amazon S3 cloud storage service. It is best suited for storing unstructured data such as photos, videos, log files, backups and container / VM images. Size of an object can range from a few KBs to a maximum of 5TB.
Minio server is light enough to be bundled with the application stack, similar to NodeJS, Redis and MySQL.
This installation uses the single node version of Minio (Minio FS), checkout the Minio docs for more details.
The instructions below use a pinned hostname constraint to ensure the application is always restarted on the same host by Marathon. This allows it to get back to its data but means that you could lose data if that agent goes down.
- Estimated time for completion: less than 5 minutes.
- Target audience:
- Application admins
- Devops Engineers
- Scope: Learn to install Minio on DC/OS and learn to use it using Minio command line tool
Table of Contents:
- Minio Installation using GUI
- Access Minio Browser
- Install Minio Client
- Configure Minio Client
- Uninstalling Minio
- Explore Further
- DC/OS 1.9 or later
- Marathon-LB must be installed and running
- Identify IP of the public agent where Marathon-LB or an available hostname configured to point to the public agent(s) where Marathon-LB is running.
Minio installation using GUI
- Visit the DC/OS admin page, and click on Universe on the left menu bar. Then click on the Packages tab and search for Minio, click on the
Installbutton on the right hand side.
- Click on the
Install Packagebutton for the single-click default installation. You can reach your Minio server at
hostis IP address or hostname of public-agent where Marathon-LB is installed.
This installs Minio server instance with factory defaults
To customize the storage and network configuration, click on
We're ready to install! Verify your settings are correct and then click
- This completes the install process. Once Minio has been deployed, navigate to the IP/hostname of Public Agent where Marathon-LB is installed and the port you specified. You should see the following login page.
Access Minio Browser
- The default access key and secret key are
minio123respectively. This can be used to log in on Minio browser page.
- Once you have successfully loggedin you should see the following screen.
Install Minio Client
Minio Client (mc) provides a modern alternative to UNIX commands like ls, cat, cp, mirror, diff etc. It supports filesystems and Amazon S3 compatible cloud storage service (AWS Signature v2 and v4).
Click here for instructions on installing mc.
Configure Minio Client
- There are different ways to configure Minio Client for different S3 cloud storage providers.
- Refer to Guide for further configuration.
Example - Minio Cloud Storage
mc config host add <ALIAS> <YOUR-MINIO-BROWSER-ADDRESS> <YOUR-ACCESS-KEY> <YOUR-SECRET-KEY> <API-SIGNATURE>(optional)
Example: Create a new bucket named "mybucket" on http://184.108.40.206
mc config host add minio-dcos http://220.127.116.11 ELVUN4CWOAIRWOT2AO9D 4e6CIFtWW1/YI91Pd6FONRJgssKiFO2Ea1d5fDwp S3v4 mc mb minio-dcos/mybucket Bucket created successfully ‘minio-dcos/mybucket’.
Now switch to Minio Browser, you can see mybacket in left-side panel where all the backets are listed.
Last but not least I want you to see what Minio’s resource footprint looks like:
dcos package uninstall minio