Install and use Minio on DC/OS
Minio is an object storage server released under Apache License v2.0. It is compatible with Amazon S3 cloud storage service. It is best suited for storing unstructured data such as photos, videos, log files, backups and container / VM images. Size of an object can range from a few KBs to a maximum of 5TB.
Minio server is light enough to be bundled with the application stack, similar to NodeJS, Redis and MySQL.
This installation uses the single node version of Minio (Minio FS), checkout the Minio docs for more details.
The instructions below use a pinned hostname constraint to ensure the application is always restarted on the same host by Marathon. This allows it to get back to its data but means that you could lose data if that agent goes down.
- Estimated time for completion: less than 5 minutes.
- Target audience:
- Application admins
- Devops Engineers
- Scope: Learn to install Minio on DC/OS and learn to use it using minio command line tool
Table of Contents:
- Setting up Minio
- Using Browser Interface
- Install Minio Client
- Configure Minio Client
- Explore Further
- DC/OS 1.8 or later
- Marathon-LB must be installed and running
- IP address of the public agent(s) where Marathon-LB or an available hostname configured to point to the public agent(s) where Marathon-LB is running.
Setting up Minio
Before starting, identify the IP address or hostname of a public agent where Marathon-LB is running.
- Visit the Universe page in DC/OS, and click on the "Install Package" button underneath Minio.
- Click on "Advanced Installation" and navigate to the "networking" tab. Specify the IP address or hostname of the public agent where Marathon-LB is running. Make sure you remove the leading http:// and the trailing / from the IP.
We're ready to install! Click the green "Review and Install" button, verify your settings are correct and then click "Install". Navigate to the services UI to see Minio being deployed.
Once Minio has been deployed, navigate to the IP/hostname you used earlier for virtual host. You should see the following login page.
Using Browser Console
- The access key and secret key for the browser console can be obtained from minio service logs.
- Navigate to services UI and click on Minio and go to the logs section. Copy the AccessKey and SecretKey and use it to log into the browser console.
- Once you have successfully loggedin you should see the following screen.
Install Minio Client
Minio Client (mc) is a CLI tool which provides a modern alternative to UNIX commands like ls, cat, cp, mirror, diff etc, to operate on filesystems and Amazon S3 compatible cloud storage service.
Click here for instructions on installing mc.
Configure Minio Client
mc config host add <ALIAS> <YOUR-S3-ENDPOINT> <YOUR-ACCESS-KEY> <YOUR-SECRET-KEY> <API-SIGNATURE>
Example: Create a new bucket named "my-bucket" on http://126.96.36.199:9000
mc config host add minio-dcos http://188.8.131.52:9000 2TT97MX8MWWZGCBWQULV mdXXJwo0bxO7XUfOuOMaUu255u0QKYsddEXjVBzd mc mb minio-dcos/my-bucket Bucket created successfully ‘minio-dcos/my-bucket’.