This repository is abandoned in favor of ongoing development on git.sr.ht. The codebase has been rewritten in Go and is much more stable and useful than what you see here.
aerc is a work in progress asynchronous email client for your terminal. aerc is network-first, and is designed with network-based email protocols in mind. It runs all network code in separate worker threads that don't lock up the UI. Compared to mutt, it's also easier on the network and much faster - it only fetches what it needs.
Join the IRC channel (#aerc on irc.freenode.net).
If you'd like to support aerc development, you can contribute to my Patreon page.
Note: aerc is not done, some of these are planned or in-progress
- Vim-style keybindings and commands
- Custom pipelines for email handling (highlighting diffs, rendering HTML, etc)
- Integrated tools for patch review, git, mailing lists, etc
- View or compose emails with arbitrary tools in the embedded terminal
- Integrated address book and tab completion for contacts
- Support for multiple accounts with different backends
- Out of the box PGP support with Keybase integration
Compiling from Source
- openssl (optional, for SSL support)
- cmocka (optional, for tests)
Run these commands:
mkdir build cd build cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR=/etc .. make sudo make install
Copy config/* to ~/.config/aerc/ and edit them to your liking.