Perl Executing Browser
Perl Executing Browser (PEB) is an HTML5 user interface for Perl 5 desktop applications. It is a C++ Qt 5 application running local Perl 5 scripts as child processes without server. Inspired by Electron and NW.js, PEB is another reuse of web technologies in desktop applications with Perl doing the heavy lifting instead of Node.js.
- Quick Start
- Design Objectives
- FILES AND FOLDERS
- INTERACTIVE PERL SCRIPTS
- APPIMAGE SUPPORT
- Thanks and Credits
The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
"SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY" and "OPTIONAL"
in the documentation of this project are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119.
1. Download the PEB Demo Application.
64-bit Linux single-file AppImage executable and
32-bit Windows ZIP archive are available.
They include everything you need to start developing PEB-based applications.
Unzip using any Windows unzip utility.
3. Optionally install any CPAN modules you may need:
cd squashfs-root/resources/app/perl/bin ./perl ./cpanm YourModule
Windows - from the extracted
cd resources\app\perl .\portableshell.bat cpanm YourModule
4. Write your Perl application reading user input on STDIN:
my $input = <STDIN>; chomp $input;
5. Write a
Start local Perl scripts by clicking a link or submitting a form to a special URL.
Select files or folders with their full paths by clicking a link to a special URL.
6. Optionally change the PEB AppImage configuration files.
7. Optionally pack your application:
64-bit Linux - from the extracted
export VERSION="X.X.X" && ./appimager.sh
The resulting AppImage will be produced in the
Zip your PEB-based application using any Windows zip utility.
- 1. Easy and beautiful graphical user interface for Perl 5 desktop applications
- 2. Fast and zero-installation software
- 3. Cross-platform availability
- 4. Secure solution with no server
- 5. Maximal reuse of existing web technologies and standards
- PEB can be started from any folder without installation procedure.
- Perl script output is seamlessly inserted in a nice HTML user interface.
- Event-driven interactive Perl scripts can be repeatedly fed with data.
- Any version of Perl 5 can be used.
- Single file or multiple files, new filename, existing or new directory can be selected by user.
- Optional warning for unsaved data in HTML forms
- Optional icon for the main window and all dialog boxes
- PEB does not need administrative privileges or installation procedure.
- PEB does not need and does not implement any server.
- Local Perl 5 scripts are executed with no sandbox and they have access to full file paths.
- Calling local Perl scripts from web pages is blocked.
- Files or folders can not be selected with their full paths from web pages.
- Cross-site scripting is disabled.
- No Perl scripting inside frames
- Limited HTML5 support
- No pop-up windows
- No file downloads
- No printing
Press Ctrl + I to open the
QWebInspector and go to the
PEB was started in 2013 by Dimitar D. Mitov as a simple user interface for personal database applications.
This program is free software;
you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License,
as published by the Free Software Foundation;
either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY;
without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Dimitar D. Mitov, 2013 - 2020
Valcho Nedelchev, 2014 - 2016