Lightning Network Daemon
The Decred Lightning Network Daemon (
dcrlnd) - is a complete implementation of
a Lightning Network node and currently deployed on
testnet3 - the Decred Test Network.
dcrlnd currently requires a dcrd backing
full node to perform the required chain services. The project's codebase uses
the existing set of decred libraries, and also
exports a large set of isolated re-usable Lightning Network related libraries
within it. In the current state
dcrlnd is capable of:
- Creating channels.
- Closing channels.
- Completely managing all channel states (including the exceptional ones!).
- Maintaining a fully authenticated+validated channel graph.
- Performing path finding within the network, passively forwarding incoming payments.
- Sending outgoing onion-encrypted payments through the network.
- Updating advertised fee schedules.
- Automatic channel management (
LND Porting Status
dcrlnd is currently developed as a port of the original
lnd lightning network daemon with the
changes required to make it work on the Decred network and with Decred software.
Some of the most important (though by no means exhaustive) diffrences between
- Import Paths
- Full node integration API
- Transaction serialization layout
- Transaction witness format and signature process
- Wallet integration API
The current status of the port can be found on this issue.
Lightning Network Specification Compliance
dcrlnd aims to conform to the Lightning Network specification
(BOLTs). BOLT stands for:
Basis of Lightning Technology. The specifications are currently being drafted
by several groups of implementers based around the world including the
dcrlnd. The set of specification documents as well as our
implementation of the specification are still a work-in-progress. With that
said, the current status of
dcrlnd's BOLT compliance is:
- BOLT 1: Base Protocol
- BOLT 2: Peer Protocol for Channel Management
- BOLT 3: Bitcoin Transaction and Script Formats
- BOLT 4: Onion Routing Protocol
- BOLT 5: Recommendations for On-chain Transaction Handling
- BOLT 7: P2P Node and Channel Discovery
- BOLT 8: Encrypted and Authenticated Transport
- BOLT 9: Assigned Feature Flags
- BOLT 10: DNS Bootstrap and Assisted Node Location
- BOLT 11: Invoice Protocol for Lightning Payments
The daemon has been designed to be as developer friendly as possible in order
to facilitate application development on top of
dcrlnd. Two primary RPC
interfaces are exported: an HTTP REST API, and a gRPC
service. The exported API's are not yet stable, so be warned: they may change
drastically in the near future.
Most of the automatically generated documentation for the LND RPC APIs is
dcrlnd and can be found at
api.lightning.community. The developer
resources including talks, articles, and example applications are also relevant
dcrlnd and can be found at:
For questions and discussions, all Decred communities can be found at:
Knowledgeable users may use the quickstart guide.
For more detailed instructions, please see the installation instructions.
And a sample config file with annotated options is also available here.
To run lnd from Docker, please see the main Docker instructions
dcrlnd is now part of Decred's Bug Bounty Program
on an experimental basis while we haven't yet deployed into mainnet.
Additionally, given the current nature of this work as a fork from the original
lnd code, bugs that have been submitted to the upstream
lnd project are not
eligible for the bug bounty program unless the following points apply:
- The bug affects a mainnet worthy release of
- The fix for the bug was not merged from the upstream repo while a substantial amount of upstream commits that are newer than the relevant one were merged;
- The bug is not critical to
lndbut it is to
dcrlnd bugs eligible for inclusion in the program, please visit the
Bug Bounty Website and follow the instructions