WARNING: Things have changed considerably since version 0.5.1. Keep reading if you're unsure how this affects you.
gist.el -- Emacs integration for gist.github.com
Uses your local GitHub config if it can find it. See http://github.com/blog/180-local-github-config
What's new in 1.0 ?
- gist.el now maintains a local cache so as to not go to the gist server every now and then.
- multi-files gist support (indicated by a '+' in the gist list)
- improved gist-list buffer, based on tabulated-list.el (same codebase as package.el)
g: reload the gist list from server
e: edit current gist description
k: delete current gist
+: add a file to the current gist
-: remove a file from the current gist
y: print current gist url
b: browse current gist
*: star gist
^: unstar gist
f: fork gist
- in-place edition. While viewing a gist file buffer, you can:
C-x C-s: save a new version of the gist
C-x C-w: rename some file
- dired integration. From a dired buffer, you can:
@: make a gist out of marked files (with a prefix, make it private)
gist.el depends on a number of other modules, that you'll need to install, either manually or by way of Emacs package manager
- tabulated-list.el built-in for emacs 24. If you're using emacs 23, you can find a backport here: https://github.com/sigma/tabulated-list.el
- gh.el GitHub client library. Install from there: https://github.com/sigma/gh.el
- pcache.el Really a gh.el dependency. Install from there: https://github.com/sigma/pcache
- logito.el Really a gh.el dependency. Install from there: https://github.com/sigma/logito
Install gist.el from marmalade (recommended)
In that scenario, you don't have to deal with the above dependencies yourself.
For emacs 24, first make sure http://marmalade-repo.org/ is properly configured. Then
M-x package-install RET gist RET
For emacs 23, you'll need to install a version of package.el first. Some bootstrap code is available there: https://gist.github.com/1884169 Then proceed as for emacs 24. You might get some compilation errors, but the package should be operational in the end.
Install gist.el from git
After installing the required dependencies, proceed with:
$ cd ~/.emacs.d/vendor $ git clone git://github.com/defunkt/gist.el.git
In your emacs config:
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/vendor/gist.el") (require 'gist)
When you first run a gist.el operation, you might be asked for your GitHub username and password. The username will be stored for future use, and a OAuth token will be stored in place of your password.
To make gist.el forget about those information, just remove them from your ~/.gitconfig file
gist-list - Lists your gists in a new buffer. Use arrow keys to browse, RET to open one in the other buffer. gist-region - Copies Gist URL into the kill ring. With a prefix argument, makes a private gist. gist-region-private - Explicitly create a private gist. gist-buffer - Copies Gist URL into the kill ring. With a prefix argument, makes a private gist. gist-buffer-private - Explicitly create a private gist. gist-region-or-buffer - Post either the current region, or if mark is not set, the current buffer as a new paste at gist.github.com . Copies the URL into the kill ring. With a prefix argument, makes a private paste. gist-region-or-buffer-private - Explicitly create a gist from the region or buffer.
gist-view-gist to non-nil if you want to view your Gist using
browse-url after it is created.